I Forge Iron

Students' knives 2011

nc_cooter

My young student from last summer returned this summer to continue his blacksmith training. Last year we started from zero and worked on forging basics, spending 3 days a week in the forge. He made S hooks, drive hooks and one small knife.
This year we only had 2 days a week due to ffootball practice, We concentrated on making tongs and knives. He made 3 knives this year, using only hand tools with the exception of a drill press. He has become very good at draw filling and hand sanding.
Here is a pic of Gages' knives. He hand forged them from 1/4" 1084. He did all the work with the exception of the HT. Not too shabby for a 13 year old who stands 6'-5" and weighs 270#.
Thanks fro looking,
Mike

post-723-0-01208800-1313715596_thumb.jpg

they are purty as hell!!!!
I sure wish I was 6-5 .... Same age and he is 180 pounds heavier and a foot and five inches taller... I now feel even smaller than I already am!!!!! :P
Great work again and you should get him to post on ifi... If he doesn't... Post pics of his tongs your self!

Alec