I Forge Iron

A "tirish" hammer on ebay

I'm not conected in any way with the seller, but I thought this was interesting. It seems to have the Clay Spencer tire drive and a Ron Kinyon slide. Inventive!!! Looks pretty sturdy too! May possibly be a good buy for a local smith with a few years experience.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Blacksmith-electric-power-hammer-forging-forge-tools-/250871606605?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a691ced4d

I wouldn't have given any more than $500 if I lived next door. Maybe someone has gotten a good hammer though! When I figured the price to build a tire hammer I figured on about $500. I can get most of the steel for 25 cents per pound so a 1200 pound hammer would cost about $300 in steel.

I bought the Hammer. That is how the first two Ray Clontz tire hammers where built over 12 years ago from a drawing Ray made on a sheet of note book paper. Both hammers are still in use. Took 20 mins of adjustment an it runs great. Was going to build one this fall but price was worth it to Save 50 + hours of work.

• 1 month later...

Well you got it for a lot less than what I bought my first hammer for! LOL Sounds like it is running good and serving you well. I'd forge out some stake a couple feet long and stake it down. I'm on gravel and didn't think my hammer would move since it weighs around 1500 lbs. However, 30 minutes of use equalled four inches of walk, so I put stakes in all around it.

Looks like you took the time to make it look good too! Congrats! I'd love to see a video of it running if you have the time and ability on your side of the screen!