I Forge Iron

Not blacksmithing, though still safety

Daryl

Only got bit by a table saw blade once and that was on a friends table saw that had that stupid, dangerous, impractical, vision impairing supposedly safety cover that sets over the blade. I will never, never ever use another saw that has that stupid thing fitted on it. Besides my table saw is home grown.

The SawStop works by detecting conductance, as RC said, but it doesn't just shut off. That wouldn't work, as the blade's inertia would just finish cutting off the finger. It jams an aluminum jaw into the blade, and then mounting of the blade swings, letting the blade's inertia swing the blade beneath the table. This whole process ruins both the jaw and the blade, but saves the flesh.

My father is missing two fingers on his left hand from an accident with a table saw, and his old partner has all the fingers on the left hand the same length sexcept the pinky and the thumb, not sure what from. This looks like an awesome and immensely useful product.

It's true what they said in the video about being at a higher risk with more experience. A neighbor's brother was a professional electrician for 40 years and got killed changing a light-bulb in his house. Remember to always think things through and never think that because you've done it so many times before that you don't need that safety precaution. Tools and machinery can be replaced easily than body parts.

I spoke with a salesman at one of the local hardware stores regarding this sawstop; the replacement cartridges are about $180Cdn (I can stand correction on the price, though if I remember, it's close) plus a new saw blade - I think that's super cheap considering. I hear that the technical schools in Saskatoon are buying them up.

So? Has anyone ponied up for this? It is amazing technology, and the points about it being cheaper than a lost finger are valid. I've read about it, and it does work exactly as advertised. It's also been rated as an excellent saw with or without the safety feature.

But it also has a potential for false triggers. If only working with dry wood, probably you'll never have this problem. I just get occasional use of my saw, and sometimes need to cut up pressure treated, damp, whatever. A false trigger not only puts you out around $200, but puts you out of business until you get it fixed.

I could see this in a cabinet shop. I would probably make it mandatory if I were running a shop. But I would seriously think hard about putting these in schools. While the immediate value is pretty clear, I would worry more about a false sense of security. Once these students hit the streets, the SawStop may not be the saw they end up using. Would it be better to really teach safety? Luckily, I'm not in such a position to decide what tools go where. This would be a tough decision to make.

But since I'm just an occasional wood mangler, I'm scared enough of my saw to be pretty careful. My only close call so far was due to a kickback, which this saw can't help with. No stitches in that one, but I'm still a little scarred and have a numb spot on my thumb.

By the way, I think it's not conductance it senses, but capacitance. Something like, or maybe exactly like, those touch lamps.