I Forge Iron

Hi All,

I have a question about my new shop. My original plan was to have 220v 20amp service through the local power company. I began the paper work in March and so far I have been told that I will need to buy the power company a new transformer that would cost no more than $10,000... Also, there is the problem of compressed gas for my forge in an insured structure.

I am contemplating using natural gas to fire my gas forge as well as run generator. I know that it won't save me all that much money, but it will solve several problems.

The question that I cannot answer is, can natural gas fire a forge to adequate welding temperatures? If not the whole point is kinda moot.

Does anyone know (1) if it is possible, and (2) what changes I need to make to the forge to succeed?

Thanks for any help!

Lar

LAr:

OK I dunno about your local power company but I know that when I built this place I have 220 v 140 amp service and that didn't cost me any extra..20 amps is not that much...especially out here where everyone is running AC and all..... Methinks you are being sold a pig in a poke there.,.I would call again as ask someone else...

As far as the NG goes..you will neeed a higher pressure coming in from the street and at least a 1 1/2" to 2" ID line...now the Gas Co WILL look at you funny and ask you what you intend to do...Or....you can do what I did...run LPG from an outside tank into the forge....perfectly within codes as about 1/2 the homes out here heat with LPG....

JPH

Electrical contractor here... I do know a 3 phase instillation run would cost close to 1,500 per pole if you dont already have 3ph in the building.

For any shop I would recommend no less than 200 amp servise, it is not going to cost you that much more than the 100, becasue its the same amount of labor, and only slight upgrade in the material for the service entrance, and panel itself.

20 amps must be a typo, as no one will install any main panel of less than 100 amps these days. even sub panels are rated more than 20 amps.

Steve Sells
Lemming of the Fancy Schmancy Self Proclaimed Master

If you run a blown gas forge then you can run low pressure natural gas, as long as the needed volume is supplied. You simply have larger feed plumbing into the air stream from the blower.

A shut-off solenoid valve on the fuel line is a good idea, no electricity, no gas.

As the insured part goes, there are some commercial natural gas forges available of a shop built forge is not permitted.

Phil

Thanks for the input everyone! Yeah, I typo'ed the amps, it is 200 amp. The catch is that Xcel states that the transformers (yeah, there are 2 that reach my yard... both are 25kva) are both at acceptable levels of use, but would go over tolerance if I got the new service. So, they want me to buy them a new transformer with an initial quote of $10,000.
One of my fantasies was to tell them to take a hike and get a NG generator and use NG for the forge, but that sounds like it won't work. I got hold of Stacy Starr from Chili forge (I run a habenero 2 burner) and she doesn't believe that I could suck enough gas out of the low pressure pipes to reach welding temperature for billets. It looks like it will be LP and an upgrade of service for the house and a line from my main box to a smaller box within the garage.

Lar