I Forge Iron

Is my lining of the forge correct?

David Dix

I used a cement and sand mix to line the bottom of my forge pan. This is what I came up with: post-22342-0-39426300-1311369553_thumb.j post-22342-0-95661400-1311369652_thumb.j post-22342-0-55146000-1311369766_thumb.j
please critique. I welcome criticism as much as compliment. I really have no idea what I'm doing, so I just went for it. Thanks!

That will do just fine. I would have not made the ring, but sloped it evenly to the edge.

well, i just ran outside to see if i could take out the ring. It's already getting pretty tough, so I'm gonna keep it the way it is. Down the road if it turns out to be a really bad idea, I'll just hammer it out and do it over.

I'm glad to see you are so committed. (some of us need to be committed) :blink:

Nice job David.

Mark <><

Yes sir! I should have been committed a LONG time ago. I have so many different hobbies and interests, I can't sit still for very long, resulting in "they" (not them, but they) not being able to catch me yet. Bwahahaha!

So it's been 24 hours since I made the cement/sand mixture and set it. Is that long enough where I can do the first fire? Or should I wait another 24 hours? I get a little anxious to get going sometimes.....

So! This is going to be your FIRST fire in your new forge !! That is a sacred moment, without fire, we smiths could do very little. Light up reverently, idealy with a magnifying glass focus the suns eays at high noon, stare straight up till the sun moves into position, take note of the light it is welding heat, with clouds of insence, brass finger chimes wielded by a belly dancer apprentice. Focus the spot of heat onto tinder blow it into flame symbolically blowing LIFE! into the fire. go from wood to coal and when you have a roaring fire, making lots of coke. Rake out a measure of your first fire's coke and use a lump to help start any subsequent fires you might wish to light. Actually always save coke from every fire to light up again. Hum um.

what are you waiting for? get to forging, young man!

haha stewart....the "ring" i made with the cement/sand mixture was kinda thick. I was asking because I don't know if it had cured long enough. If you think it's ready im going to fire up then! WOOHOO!

So! This is going to be your FIRST fire in your new forge !! That is a sacred moment, without fire, we smiths could do very little. Light up reverently, idealy with a magnifying glass focus the suns eays at high noon, stare straight up till the sun moves into position, take note of the light it is welding heat, with clouds of insence, brass finger chimes wielded by a belly dancer apprentice. Focus the spot of heat onto tinder blow it into flame symbolically blowing LIFE! into the fire. go from wood to coal and when you have a roaring fire, making lots of coke. Rake out a measure of your first fire's coke and use a lump to help start any subsequent fires you might wish to light. Actually always save coke from every fire to light up again. Hum um.

Rofl, I wish the first moment was that grand and exciting. It was more like this: Standing out in 80% humidity, clothes completely soaked with sweat, getting eaten alive my mosquitos, back aching from pulling a muscle due to carrying the forge, arms are getting tired from pumping +300 times to just get the coals to stay lit, and FINALLY getting a forge heat, the brand new leather belt starts slipping because it had stretched out. that's about how it went. Fortunately, I went back later for a second go. I was able to get some rebar up to a forge heat and banged the heck out of it. lol. That made me SO happy.

Up and going! Good for you. I wouldn't have suggested cement as it can be pretty heat susceptible, just wear safety glasses and you'll be fine.

I like the floor of mine pretty flat with a depression over the air grate for the Duck's Nest. Then I use fire brick to make the fire whatever shape I need. Then again I almost never use coal anymore so my opinion is for what it's worth.

What's really important is getting the steel hot and shaping it as you wish. Nothing will get you addicted faster or better than doing.

Frosty the Lucky.

I use a mortar mix in my forge and leave it to dry for a few days before lighting a simple wood fire in it a few times to really dry the cement. If its wet that appears to cause crumbling with a hot coal fire to take your time.

well, i just ran outside to see if i could take out the ring. It's already getting pretty tough, so I'm gonna keep it the way it is. Down the road if it turns out to be a really bad idea, I'll just hammer it out and do it over.
No, I wouldn't do that! You may want to fill in outside of the ring so the coal is easier to push around, as in not up hill twards the fire.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a forge/blower similar to yours, but mine came with a broken drive belt. I'd be interested in seeing some pix of the blower and gearing on yours. Also, if you "resize" your pix before posting them they will be much easier for others to view. Here is a link to a website that lets you resize photos for free.

http://www.resize2mail.com/

I have a forge/blower similar to yours, but mine came with a broken drive belt. I'd be interested in seeing some pix of the blower and gearing on yours. Also, if you "resize" your pix before posting them they will be much easier for others to view. Here is a link to a website that lets you resize photos for free.

http://www.resize2mail.com/

I have almost the exact same forge and it also came with a broken belt. For once, being fat came in handy as I had an extra leather belt on hand that was a little big on me (waistline was 44"+ at the time :o ). I just cut it a little short of the required length and stitched it together with steel wire then wrapped the joint with a layer of gorilla tape. Works fine for now. Also the previous owner wrapped a layer of duct tape around the flywheel itself for more traction. This is the best pic I have on hand. Hope it helps.

post-6932-0-67548100-1312901154_thumb.jp