I Forge Iron

100 ton 4 post press

kpotter

I was at a machine shop yesterday helping to appraise it. The place was full of the most worn out beat down junk I have ever seen but sitting in the middle of the room was a massive press they said it was 10 ton but with a 12 inch ram and a 20hp pump you dont get 10 ton. We put in a bid on the stuff and will get it mostly because I was begging like a 5 year old at christmas for the press. I have been making a 50 ton forging press but now I will have 2 of them. I ran the 100 ton press and it is pretty fast, at least I think it is 100 ton hard to tell since it is so dirty and it was a shop built machine. The posts are 4 inches around and the platens are 3 inches thick.

My 4 poster is an 18" ram and its rated at 400 ton, with 6" columns. I was at an auction 2 years ago in Sydney where a 150 ton press was passed in because of no bid (I could'nt bid as I had already gone over my limit well and truely) it was knocked down to the scrappers and was cut up the next day, Oh for the lack of money.
I reckon a 12"ram would go 150 tons too, by my calculations.

post-5537-0-35021600-1310980646_thumb.jp

Forgemaster any chance of getting some more details on that manipulator?

Thanks,

I can do that, its just a 2 ton Komatsu diesel forklift with a modified Cascade paper grab on the front. We modified some of the valving with the rotating joint in the rotator and put 2 x 4" dia agricultural hyd rams on for arms instead of the rams that came with the paper grab.
We also took the worm and pinion reduction off and replaced it with a straight geared Hyd motor as it was too slow to rotate. The grab will rotate 360 deg in about 3 seconds now.
The arms are fabricated from 100mm mild steel plate, and the arm ends (75mm sqr 1045) are removeable so as we can use pickup arms or hollow bit arms depending on the job
Don't know what its max lift is yet, haven't had to pick up anything that has overstretched it.
I know it will pickup and carry 630KG with the longer arms.

Phil

post-5537-0-46683100-1311028963_thumb.jp

post-5537-0-97994600-1311029126_thumb.jp

No trouble. I will be getting this thing in a few weeks. It works well no leaks and it is pretty fast I will be putting some of my open faced press dies that I use to make stakes with in it. I have been using my 50 ton press and they work well but a few extra tons never hurts.

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah.... that was a smokin deal.... looks like a very useful press as well....

Based on the size of the cylinder It must have around 5"-6" of stroke? What is the die set that is in it for?

I don't know when Kevin will anwser so I will take a shot here. There where several die shoes that came with it. The previous owner made very high end picalos and stamped out a the finger pieces with this press.

I am going to be using it for press forging my silversmithing stakes. I would also like to take a stab at making some hammers, I have been machining them from bar but would love to press forge them in a die. I have the dies for the stakes ready to go I carved them in graphite by hand and had them edmed at a mold shop. I have a bunch of die shoes that I will set up for forging chasing tools, I have been forging and grinding them by hand this should be faster and better. I still have to get it off the trailer, a fried with a back hoe will move it on Tuesday. Thanks to Harold I didnt have to squish my truck getting this thing to the shop. I will post some video of it soon it will be up and running mid week hopefully. Thanks again Harold

• 4 months later...

I got the press up and running last weekend and have been forging with it. It works great plenty of speed and lots of power. I got a call yesterday while I was using it. I have a friend in the machinerey business and he wanted to know if I needed a 200 ton 4 post dake. XXXX yes I need more power. I am going to see it on monday. I was told it is in excellent shape and that it has a 20hp motor. I was real happy with 100 tons so I am sure 200 will make me xstatic. or something like that.

I got the press up and running last weekend and have been forging with it. It works great plenty of speed and lots of power. I got a call yesterday while I was using it. I have a friend in the machinerey business and he wanted to know if I needed a 200 ton 4 post dake. XXXX yes I need more power. I am going to see it on monday. I was told it is in excellent shape and that it has a 20hp motor. I was real happy with 100 tons so I am sure 200 will make me xstatic. or something like that.

Forging stakes can suck up 1,000 ton easy depending upon how to make the dies. It is never as simple as making a cavity the shape you want.
I remember when I got my 36 ton unit running and was to forge 1 1/2" round....thought it would make short work, but instead it took seven heats and three die changes to get the job done. My 3B nazel can do the same job in one heat and 42 blows...so about 14 seconds.

Ric

I never ceased to be amazed at how big a press you need to make a small closed die forging effectively. The high speed mechanical presses I do a lot of work on lay the power down in one hit in less than a second, yet a 1000 tonner will often only make a component of a kg or two! (and due to the speed die contact time is not a heat sucking factor! )

I hand carve the graphite electrodes and take them to an edm shop here in town and they will sink them for about 100 bucks, I supply the steel and they set it up and let it go. I have thought of closed die forging but it gets real complicated. I am just heating 1-2 inch long 1 inch round bars and placing them in the die and squishing them into it. I then trim the excess off and toss in the tumbler. They are simple shapes, but it is faster than machining them. 200 tons is probably a long way short of doing a whole stake but I could do some hammers. I will get some pics of it tomorrow when I go to check it out.

• 2 weeks later...