I Forge Iron

Want to get some steel analyzed

I was wondering if someone could direct me to a good company to analyze some steel bars I have. They are tool steel from an old machine shop. It is most likely O2 but I don't want to get it wrong, because a lot of work will go into this tooling. I hope to use this material to make some cold bending dies. From what I have read this is a good type of steel for this application. I also want to make sure they are heat treated correctly but I need to know what It is first. I figure I could save a few hundred bucks on steel if I can use this material for the tooling.

Thanks
Tim

The scrap yard I frequent has an analizer and will check materials for stainless, inconel, monel, and the like. You might check your local scrap yard to see if they have one, usually if they deal in more than cars and alum cans they will have one. Next place would be to a tool steel dealer but I would think they might get a little testy since you are not purchasing from them.

You might try a local steel foundry. I say steel as an iron or non ferrous foundry is less likely to have the required equipment. If you were local I could tell you where to get it done for a 40oz bottle of Grey Goose.

If it is really 02, I believe that it is rare enough in the states that damascus makers may pay a premium for it. You could probably sell it, purchase another grade of tool steel that is also appropriate and still have money left.

Would O1 or A2 be suitable for damascus? If so, what steel would be used with it?

O1 makes a good mix with L6, as both have similar heat treatment requirements. Both respond well to forge-welding and forging.

If you can forge-weld A2 to D2, I'll pay to take lessons from you.