I Forge Iron

What steel is it

Yes the chromium IS dangerous! I work for a major chemical company (Fortune 500 company) as a fitter/welder (34yrs exp.)and ANY time we plasma, airarc, or STICK or MIG weld we have to barracade off a 20ft. radius area, wear a resparator, use a smoke ventalation system, vacumm our clothes off when finished with job, clean up floors/tables with floor sweep, shower, put dirty clothes in a marked plastic bag, (the bag is water soluble) and all this for ANY material that has chrome in it, no matter the amount of chrome. Grinding and tig welding causes no problems as far as our industial hygiene department has determined. This procedure has been put in sevice only in the last month or so but any violation will result in "extreme disiplinary action". we comply.... SO... take this for what you think it is worth but please BE SAFE!!!

Yes the chromium IS dangerous! I work for a major chemical company (Fortune 500 company) as a fitter/welder (34yrs exp.)and ANY time we plasma, airarc, or STICK or MIG weld we have to barracade off a 20ft. radius area, wear a resparator, use a smoke ventalation system, vacumm our clothes off when finished with job, clean up floors/tables with floor sweep, shower, put dirty clothes in a marked plastic bag, (the bag is water soluble) and all this for ANY material that has chrome in it, no matter the amount of chrome. Grinding and tig welding causes no problems as far as our industial hygiene department has determined. This procedure has been put in sevice only in the last month or so but any violation will result in "extreme disiplinary action". we comply.... SO... take this for what you think it is worth but please BE SAFE!!!

Thomas so forging chromium steels is dangerous? I have not heard of anyone getting sick or dying from forging 5160 or 52100, should we not use these steels? Sorry D. Bernard don't want to hijack your thread but I use these steels a lot, I also use a chrome plated 1050 rod that is used for hydrolic cylinder shafts. So I was just wondering about these steels.

From my understanding it has to do with fluxes in the rods/wire and the actual burning as would be the case in plasma cutting and air arcing. If I can find the info I'll try to post on what the hazards are and the effects they have on you. The real hazards are in your plating shops. "HEXACHROMES" are the culprets which pretty much incompasses all materials with any chrome in them. sorry for the late post...been away for a few days....

Since we are here, let me add that Cr6 or hexachrome is bad news (Erin Brokavich stuff) We regularly test for in waste streams and the respiratory danger when cutting, grinding orwelding is high! Having said that heat chrome plate enough to burn it off is when you will CREATE Cr6 as the stable plating is Cr3 very benign stuff. Forging an alloy the Cr stays in solution so even tho you have the heat Cr prefers to stay where it is at in the alloy. Excessive heat over time may allow it to slip out. Let the IH's weigh in with more specifics if needed.