I Forge Iron

200 alldays and onions hammer.

@ Mat Blimey I am going to be sixty this year and I have never heard that expression before, sheltered life I guess, Thank you!

@ Basher But I am intrigued about the test anvil, are you reproducing Peter Wrights, or will it be a bottom block for the Alldays?

I have always wanted to make an anvil . Hand hammers are old hat but anvils not so much so.
the 200 is rated at 4" efficient work......... and playing with a block of the biggest stock I have (60mm square ) and upsetting it a little and then a little more and adding a carbon steel face plate (only en9 but all I had in the rite size) and a few welding heats .I have a small anvil block 2olb or so (less by the time I scale it with more heats) .
this one will end up a "viking" anvil if all goes well . and I can play with my plan for a 2 dustbin and water pump quench.......
I think If I take the hammer into the inefficient working range I should be able to do a half hundredweight anvil possibly a little bigger?given a little help with holding tooling and swinging a sledge.

Interesting, sounds fun.

When I have needed to squeeze something that is too high for the hammer to generate oomph I have taken out the bottom block and rigged up something to protect the dovetail. It obviously generates the highest impact at the bottom of its stroke.

I have a 2cwt Massey Clearspace in the yard which has an intermediate sow block which means you can drop the bottom pallet down around 200mm.

I have some Progen which would be quite good to try as an anvil face, it is very tough and requires no temper in many cases.

How did you heat treat your test piece?