I Forge Iron

lettering

my friend wants some lettering done for a truck restoration he is doing - there are two panels of lettering, one on either side of the grille, and i guess the letters are only about an inch high - about half of each side is rotted away but there is enough left to see what the words should look like. i think it was pressed before obviously mass produced, but whats the best way for me to make some new panels for him? i have a fly press, but it would be very fiddly to make the tiny letters! what would you do?? :)

I think I would make an aluminum casting from the original piece. Then I would either use it as the replacement or use it as the form to press out a new piece in Aluminum sheet. Without seeing what you are talking about, its hard to give good advice....

I think I would make an aluminum casting from the original piece. Then I would either use it as the replacement or use it as the form to press out a new piece in Aluminum sheet. Without seeing what you are talking about, its hard to give good advice....

Carve it in wax first to do an investment casting? I know that can give excellent surface finish.

If it is pressed in the sheet steel then repose (I probably spelled that wrong) may be one way to go about it.

Phil

my friend wants some lettering done for a truck restoration he is doing - there are two panels of lettering, one on either side of the grille, and i guess the letters are only about an inch high - about half of each side is rotted away but there is enough left to see what the words should look like. i think it was pressed before obviously mass produced, but whats the best way for me to make some new panels for him? i have a fly press, but it would be very fiddly to make the tiny letters! what would you do?? :)

Hi Beth, What vehicle? and what does the lettering read? Replacements may be available elsewhere, If it was pressed, you should be able to tell by the remains, if it is rotted away I would think it was a pressing, as catings were usually made from brass or similar materials, the other thing to look at is how it fits to the vehicle, as the mounting points give clues to the original make up of the lettering.

Cast or pressed, repousse could be the way to go, (You could use the flypress for this) or you could fabricate and weld them and get the same effect, lets see a pic, (or better still the actual part if you are nearby anytime, there is an Acanthus Leafwork course June 25th and 26th at Westpoint, letters/leafs not much difference, similar techniques could be utilised)

thanks john - thanks guys - i had thought of casting and then using the fly press - the original version john is pressed into sheet, its an old 1930s truck and it says ford something (cant remember - only saw it today for a minute!) but it is the only one in existance that says that, apparently the other models were all chevrolet something(whatever the other name was) - i will get a picture. its kind of rounded letters no sharp edges on the impressions - i like the idea of a wooden pattern too ... might be able to make a tool for the press the right width in a couple of lengths and literally press each individually?

Here is a Wiki article on Bedford trucks, seems it was a subdivision of GMC, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bedford_Vehicles <_<
also if you are restoring a vehicle you may want to check out the crew over at http://www.metalmeet.com they just love to talk vehicle restoration :P (they have an active chapter in England too)