I Forge Iron

How to choose metals?

Karn3

I'm not sure if this should be in the alchemy section of blacksmithing or not, but here goes.

When people talk about making pattern welded blades the go-to steels seem to be 1095 and 15N20. The reasons people give for this choice is that they weld together nicely and they have the different colours when etched. I can't really get these but can get plenty or other different types of steel, so I was wondering how you can tell whether or not certain steels will weld well and if there will be a colour difference once etched. I'm also thinking about trying three metal pattern welding as well. Does it come down to the chemical composition? If so what goes well together, and how can I tell if the steels will end up giving me the properties I need for a blade? Many thanks in advance. I really need to brush up on my metallurgy...

First you will need to determine the end use of the blade. Heavy chopping, fine carving, kitchen work,shaving,,,, and what is more important edge retention, or toughness. Once you have that figured out, then match the characteristics of the metals to be used in the billet with the end use. If a blade doesn't function as it should it is an expensive letter opener.

A very important consideration when choosing steels for a pattern welded blade is their heat-treatment requirements. 1095 and 15N20 have very similar requirements and can be successfully treated together.

L6 and O1 are another good pairing, as they have identical requirements.

3 metals already huh? You may be getting ahead of yourself, since only 3 days ago you posted a first blade. read this site more, this question has been asked and answered before.

Yer maybe getting a little ahead of myself :P But I'm easily excited!

A very important consideration when choosing steels for a pattern welded blade is their heat-treatment requirements. 1095 and 15N20 have very similar requirements and can be successfully treated together.

L6 and O1 are another good pairing, as they have identical requirements.

So should I be looking at metals heat treating requirements rather than the composition or are both things important?

You will want metals with close heat treating requirements and also make sure the welding temps are close to the same and still consider composition for a decent end product that will perform like you want it to

Band saw and pallet banding make a nice first timer mix. Although the color difference isn't a great as with other combinations, it deep etches nicely, gives a nice knife blade edge, and you don't have to spend a lot if anything on your learning curve :)

if you are looking for something to break your teeth on then I would try these combos

O1 and mild ( remembering that O1 is around 1% carbon so you don't want to drop the end billet below 0.7% carbon) O1 is readily available in the UK

old files and mild (same on the carbon) this makes very nice high layer damascus and you can differentially harden it for hammon whit good results.

for a long time the good and the great were using these combos and as long as you get the mix rite you can make good blades from them.

Join british blades where you will find local friendly advice.