I Forge Iron

Baileigh Metal Working Equip.

Thank you Francis, their SW 132 three fase iron worker looks very usefull, I am wondering how it would compare to a Piranha make. It might be a good time for a investment in machine tooling, as interest rates are sure to be going up soon.

Thank you Francis, their SW 132 three fase iron worker looks very usefull, I am wondering how it would compare to a Piranha make. It might be a good time for a investment in machine tooling, as interest rates are sure to be going up soon.

If your interested in a ironworker you should check out Edwards or a Cleveland Tool machine which is also made by Edwards too. I have a 55ton and it has been a work horse in my shop at again 1/2 the cost of a Piranha which I have used alot and do like alot.

Does any one know any thing about Baileigh Metal Working Equipment? Spefically the MH-19? WWW. bii1 . com ????????????

If you do some research on it, you'll find that they are Chinese and are fairly expensive in comparison to other foreign...ie Chinese,
equipment. If you are looking at $ vs name, I suggest you look at Grizzly. Last year, I bought a 1" horizontal band saw from Grizzly that was hundreds of dollars less than Baliegh and is of excellent quality for the money. Fwiw, at the time, I was re-cooperating from knee surgery and had a lot of time to research the value vs $.

john

We will be doing some serious lookinto Metal Muncher, thanks Werks. Something about that name intrigues me. The trade schools and LSU have Piranha ironworkers. I have spent many hours on these machines and can only say they are a good machine, but it will develop leaks. I still remember the old Buffalo mechanical ironworker, and even if i were given one of them with free shipping, I would say no. They were more dangerous than a monkey with a machine gun. they sounded nice though.

The thing about a metal muncher is the press on the end, the size of the shear (you can get a 22" X 1/4" on a 60 ton machine) Mine has the over deep press which adds quite a bit to the "c" of the press end... Another thing is you can run the shear and the press independently of each other so you could have a guy punching holes and one cutting bar at the same time... the press is direct acting... on most including the Piranha the punch/press end is a pivot on a pin... they break and wear out, dont have much travel and never give a true up and down action... The Metal Muncher on the other hand has 9" of stroke on the standard model and can take a press brake die 4' wide... as well as all the tooling come up and have a open C frame press...

The edwards I had I destroyed trying to use the punch end for some forming applications... The stresses on the pins and bushings was too much... In just a few months the thing was so sloppy that it was more or less worthless... This is my second Metal Muncher and the only thing I would replace it with is a bigger/newer version of the same machine..

The thing about a metal muncher is the press on the end, the size of the shear (you can get a 22" X 1/4" on a 60 ton machine) Mine has the over deep press which adds quite a bit to the "c" of the press end... Another thing is you can run the shear and the press independently of each other so you could have a guy punching holes and one cutting bar at the same time... the press is direct acting... on most including the Piranha the punch/press end is a pivot on a pin... they break and wear out, dont have much travel and never give a true up and down action... The Metal Muncher on the other hand has 9" of stroke on the standard model and can take a press brake die 4' wide... as well as all the tooling come up and have a open C frame press...

The edwards I had I destroyed trying to use the punch end for some forming applications... The stresses on the pins and bushings was too much... In just a few months the thing was so sloppy that it was more or less worthless... This is my second Metal Muncher and the only thing I would replace it with is a bigger/newer version of the same machine..

I had a metal muncher but wasn't happy with the controllability of the press ram. Have you modified yours in some way? Do you use the press for bending and have adequate controll?

monster do you do any drifting with your metal muncher? I am looking to add a piece of equipment with a long hydro stroke to be able to drift heavy work easily by myself. I currently have a schotchman but doesnt really have enough stroke to do the task. How about tooling as far as punches and dies can you get them readily? I can get most for my machine next day.

I have direct experience with both (Piranha and Edwards). I have a Piranha P-50 in my shop, we've had it for about four years now, and one of our subsidiary companies has an edwards. The two don't compare. If you ever go out to a big metalworking trade show, you will see the differences in the ironworkers currently offered new from manufacturers (ps Fabtech is by far the best show for shopping for metalfab equipment, i've been an exhibitor there the last few years, and no, I don't sell ironworkers lol, rest easy). The pro's of the Piranha are big, monolithic flame-cut pieces, no badly-cast crap from china, made in the usa (yes, still matters to many of us), and ALL THE PARTS ARE EASILY TAKEN ON AND OFF IF SOMETHING BREAKS. I cannot stress how important that is in a running shop. Over the past four years we have had to re-wind the motor(power surge), do regular maintenance with oil replacement, and switch out the knives on the shear twice (once was because someone came in on a weekend un-authorized and tried to "sneak" a piece in and had no clue what they were doing). When we got the machine it was about 14k new, I believe its about 17k new now. A company called "Cayman" is making a perfect dupe as far as I know, but I have no clue as to the quality. I encourage all of you guys that are looking to buy new equipment to come to Fabtech (btw I'm in heat treating, so I have nothing to gain from you coming, etc), I've bought most of my new stuff there in the past four years. Hope that helps? Oh ps, we've cut probably around 100k pieces of all sorts in the P-50 in four years, including 1" holes in 1/4" stainless, the slugs come out so hard they spall the concrete floor, and the machine doesn't flinch.

The BEST ironworker, who knows ? I know that my friend, the welding instructor at the trade school had a piranha 50T, the students, bless 'em, destroyed it. The school replaced it with a piranha 100T. He did a search for the choice and the p. was it. Thanks E. F. that is what i was hoping to hear. were you satisfied in all ways with the 50T ?

The Piranha is a good machine, Ive owned a P50 as well.... I just really, really like the Metal Muncher... I think the direct acting cylinder is a much better system than the pivot of the Piranha and others..

I guess its a ford/chevy deal but Im sticking by my machine. :P

The Piranha is a good machine, Ive owned a P50 as well.... I just really, really like the Metal Muncher... I think the direct acting cylinder is a much better system than the pivot of the Piranha and others..

I guess its a ford/chevy deal but Im sticking by my machine. :P

I like my Dodge! ;)

Yes, I definitely like the piranha across the board. All of the pieces/support tables/knife holders all attach to the main body plate with large socket head cap screws, so it's easy on/easy off, no messing with eight million covers/cables/etc to get access. Any machine will break if it's abused. Period. If material is put into the center shear and doesn't contact the hold-down, the material will tilt, and shatter the knives, simple physics, not a design flaw ( same with all heavy cuts in ironworkers). If you have people on the machine who don't know how to use it, it won't last (reference the votech kids). We literally make hundreds of cuts a day, and I wouldn't be with out it, it's too much of a money maker. Only complaint I have? The motor isn't mounted on studs inside the machine, so you have to lift the machine to get the mounting bolts out. But how often are you taking the motor out? If that's my one complaint, it says something about the machine.

I'll second the love for the Metal Munchers. The 18" deep C-frame 100 ton that I've set up for driving these 1 1/2" rivets runs off a 10HP at 4000 psi. Took every bit of power that thing had. As Larry mentioned- doing any forging operation on a punch press can be risky. The guides are no-where near sufficient for off-center loads. My one complaint is the factory wire welds are full of porosity but overall construction is very robust.

post-12478-0-29366000-1305736005_thumb.j

post-12478-0-01205600-1305736022_thumb.j