I Forge Iron

finally made a press.

basher

firstly I would like to thank all the people here for there great information on this subject .
I finally built a forging press .
I have been gathering bits for a while and figured the only way to know from all the various ram /pump configurations is to go ahead and do it .all the theory is great.
so from bits I have gathered I built a press . 10hp single action pump at 3.5gpm 4" ram.
it is an inch a second under power . topps out at 3000psi .and is quite , no screech .
I think the motor could handle a bigger pump possably a 5 gpm but as it is there is no strain on the motor so thats good and quiet .
I calculate its putting out around 16 tonnes which is great for punching and hot forging but shows its limits on thin or cold steel.
I have quick change dies and already have numerous dies made.
the cost so far pump and motor £80 ram £40 valve (new) £70 tank £30 , plumbing about £150-200 steel from my pile... .maybe £150 all in around £600 in bits and 3 man days .
I have had an electrical engineer design a switch system that will let the press cycle full auto to fixed stops to speed the forging process up a little ......
5690833081_bd11d2255d_b.jpg

Nice press........I wouldn't make it go any faster.An inch per second is cookin'. I'm sure the 10 hp can handle it and to my way of thinking speed isn't necessarily what it's all about with a press. If it were mine I'd use a flow control so it go slower when needed.......Or not...........Have fun!

thanks guys, the motor is on a speed control and has enough power to make pressure at 1/4 speed so its not too fast.
the low tonnage helps to act as an auto stop and I have not managed to totaly ruin anything by over pressing yet. I have found its limits pretty quickly .
these are great tools and I have wanted to make one for years but lacked the hydraulic knowhow.