I Forge Iron

Ben & Cathy come to Brians

Ben & Cathy started their first day off with making a hammer, Brian and Ben made a hot cut hardy and a top tool hot cut as well. Today got started with making a trivet, there are some pretty good pics of this process, from making the three different sized collars to assembling all the pieces. They both made a trivet. Then the tool making got started. I did not get to take many pics of the tools for participating in making some. Brian and I made a "cupping tool" (for forming the face of the rounding hammer),Cathy and I made an edge tool while Brian and Ben made a 3" fuller. Brian and Ben also made a 1 1/2" fuller and after supper they made a 3" top tool, while Cathy and I made a 1 1/2" top tool. They both really enjoy forging and are willing to work 12 hours a day doing it. We have one more day and I am looking forward to it as much as they are, they are some great people, and enjoy soaking it in. Enough with the chit chat, heres the pics.

https://picasaweb.google.com/LDWynn/BenCathyDay1#
https://picasaweb.google.com/LDWynn/BenCathyDay2#

wow, great stuff! it reminds me of good times!

alec

P.S. thank you Lyle, Patricia and Brian and Karen so so much for your incredible hospitality ( i really can't say enough thank you's !! )! I had a blast working with you guys and i am sure Ben and Cathy will too!

Here are th pics from the last day with Ben & Cathy. They wanted to do a forge welded bundle, so to speed things up decided to do a bundle for a grappling hook. Brian and I had made some V-blocks to go in the treadle hammer and they worked nicely to keep the collar square. While they were woeking on the tapers and getting the tools set up Brian grinded the rest of the new tools. They made a nice haul, heres the pics https://picasaweb.google.com/LDWynn/BenCathySLastDay#

I never did much in the way of the use of clips in my art work but every once in awhile someone would want stuff clipped together and it was always such a pain in the butt. Now that jig is such a neat idea! If I ever get healthy enough to do make anything again that requires clips I'll know what to do, thanks so much for all of those pictures, they are just great. :D

Cathy and I thoroughly enjoyed our time at Brian and Karens. The three days seemed to race by. Learning from Brian and Lyle is a bit like trying to drink from a firehose. So we will sit back and collect our thoughts and see how we will use the information in our little smithy. We have a project or two that we want to complete using the blacksmithing techniques we are learning. We are trying to learn fast as the projects are looming closer in time.

Karen, Brian and Lyle are some of the most friendly and gracious folks you could ever want to meet. And Karen really is a good cook, we could go back just to eat.

Alec S. for such a short fella you sure cast a long shadow in Mississippi. Hopefully we will get to meet you some day.

Ben & Cathy

Well, it looks like you guys, like myself had a brilliant time! and you brought back a big pile of goodies! And i am sure that you learnt alot ( who doesn't when Brian is the teacher!)

Thank you very much for the compliments Ben and Cathy !

alec