I Forge Iron

After I was approved to teach Metalworking merit badge, I suddenly felt the need to have a semi-permanent structure for instruction. I plan on only having pairs of scouts out, so a small-ish smithy will work.

Your suggestions/constructive criticisms are welcome!

The burned inscription reads IS: LIV.XVI; a familiar bible verse with smiths, Isiah 54:16.

post-15814-0-23720700-1305041700_thumb.j

post-15814-0-13988400-1305041701_thumb.j

post-15814-0-09396200-1305041702_thumb.j

post-15814-0-02365700-1305041703_thumb.j

If that is a buffalo forge, making a deeper fire pot out of 4 firebricks set on edge will help. I had to do that to mine. Also a METAL or wood quench bucket. Plastic will melt when a red hot project is dropped in to it ( don't ask...) Also a tarp to block the wind. Extra safety glasses as well

Looks great, the kids should have a blast.

That should work with the caveat about walls in winter and a heat resistant quench tub. Metal buckets are heatproof but dropping a sharp piece of metal in can punch holes in them. I put a piece of 14 ga. in the bottom of mine to protect it.

The other thing I see lacking (from MY perspective) is a comfy stool. I demo a step or project, then take my position on my stool to oversee and kibitze while the students discover things.

Frosty the Lucky.

My thought is that it's kind of hard to work close into the anvil. If you take a look at some of the posts on anvil stands you will notice that the pros have a stand that allows a much closer stance to the anvil, also check the working height. You don't want it too high for these young men who haven't reached full height yet. Make sure that work bench has some kind of anchor to the ground so it doesn't tip over when they are working on it too. If you don't want to use fire brick to make a deeper fire you can always just use soil to build up a deeper fire pit. :blink:

OK my experience is that when I work a pair of new young folks in a small area I prefer to work one on each side of the forge so they don't have to pass by each other with hot steel. So I would line up the anvil with the horn pointing towards the forge on a line bisecting the space from the outside wall to the other wall. I would also mount a post vise on both uprights of your shed.

When I can manage it I like to have separate anvils too!

That should work with the caveat about walls in winter and a heat resistant quench tub. Metal buckets are heatproof but dropping a sharp piece of metal in can punch holes in them. I put a piece of 14 ga. in the bottom of mine to protect it.

The other thing I see lacking (from MY perspective) is a comfy stool. I demo a step or project, then take my position on my stool to oversee and kibitze while the students discover things.

Frosty the Lucky.

Have to admit I had to look caveat up, good word.

Looks like a cool set up. I am sure the kids will have a good time.

If I could make a suggestion I would try to level the ground out. Unless it is an optical illusion the ground looks like it has quite a slope. Looks like that could be rough on your back.

Have fun!!!!

Having done this for a summer at our local camp, here are my thoughts: Scale it down, and make it personal.

While you may get a few 16 year old jocks who can handle man-sized tools, you are more likely to need to accommodate smaller guys. Look for (or make) lighter weight tongs, I find farrier tongs ideal for most projects. Smaller hammers (HF sells graduated sets of ball peens), lower anvils, lower tables, lower vises. Standing on a crate or pallet is going to lead to trouble, as will working hot metal at chest height. Safety glasses: you can find shooting glasses in women and youth models to fit small faces. Same goes for work gloves for filing, etc. Compound leverage aviation shears rather than old style tin snips.

Let them choose a project from a range of samples that you have done. (That makes sure that you know all the steps, and have all the stuff on hand to complete the project.) Demo on a piece of half inch stock so they can see it, and have them work with 3/8" or 1/4". Don't succumb to pressure to take on more students than you can watch safely (and keep busy), and don't let the dads take over.

I think you have a well thought out plan John. A little tweeking as you put it to work is to be expected but all in all it sounds ready for launch.

For projects camping tools like tent pegs, peg pullers, cooking tools, lantern hangers and such usually hit it off with the youngsters I've shown. It's your typical first project applications, something that involves a few processes but can be "finished" pretty soon, something they can use in the troop on camping trips and such let's em show off too. Long term projects tend to draw the heat of youngsters and newcomer's fire too quickly, you really want appetizer projects that build confidence.

Frosty the Lucky.