I Forge Iron

The Complete Bladesmith

MikePierich

This seems to be the best book to get started, according to most people in here. Local library system doesn't have it - but I checked Amazon and it's a measly 17 bucks in paperback, and with the Prime membership you can have it in two days with no shipping fee (U.S.).

Just passin' it on.

Mike; did you ask them about ILL Inter Library Loan? I can get books from over 90 different libraries, including university ones, through my local library through ILL and I'm in rural NM though I've also used it in AR and even OH for hard to find research works.

Many folks don't know ILL exists and tell me their local library doesn't have a book and they will have to buy it. I always try to ILL a book before buying to see if it's a good use of my money.

Last time I did so here in NM It was a dollar per search and I got to keep the book for 3 weeks.

"David Boye also wrote a really good book on knifemking" would that be "Step by Step Knifemaking"?

Actually, I have had "Step-by-Step Knifemaking" since the early 80's when I first made a few blades. You're right, it is an excellent book. I'm sure it's been updated since then, but it's a great book as is. But I have the impression that the "Complete Bladesmith" covers forging, which my old edition of Boye's book doesn't at all.

I just looked in our county system. Thanks for the suggestion, but I figure since the book is mentioned here numerous times, it must be worth risking less than 20 bucks. But that'a good tip for more unknown books so I'll use it in the future for sure.

I love all of Dr. Hrisoulas's books and highly recommend them, "The Pattern-Welded Blade Artistry In Iron (Equipment & Techniques)", as well as the book titled "Master Bladesmith: Advanced Studies in Steel". I look forward to when he finishes his fourth book!

Thanks, David.

I love all of Dr. Hrisoulas's books and highly recommend them, "The Pattern-Welded Blade Artistry In Iron (Equipment & Techniques)", as well as the book titled "Master Bladesmith: Advanced Studies in Steel". I look forward to when he finishes his fourth book!

Yes you will want to *OWN* your own copy of the Complete Bladesmith if you plan to forge blades. Libraries get real fussy about big black fingerprints in their books...but as books get weirder and more expensive toward the fringes it's always handy to check them out first---take a gander at the going rate for "The Knight and the Blast Furnace" the foremost book on the metallurgy of plate armour; *far* better to check it out before finding out you didn't need that much detail! (or to start saving your lunch money cause you *do* need that much detail!)

This was the first book I bought! I got the hardback copy from Barnes and Noble about a year ago. It goes into great detail on types of steel and their chemical makeup, best forging temp, best quench temp, and best tempering process. It truly was titled correctly. It is the complete bladesmith!!

Just got it this afternoon (love that Amazon Prime free 2-day shipping!). Now I already "know" how to draw out a blade and "pack" the edge. It is a great book. Still glad I have the Boye book - together they're very complimentary.

I won't be making any armor any time soon, LOL. But you never know...I'm thinking a half a 20-gallon grease drum would make a good start. :)

• 2 years later...
  • 8 years later...

This one is an important reference book to have. I have gone through a few copies. Two remain. The shop copy is oil soaked, acid stained and full of burn holes. The clean copy stays in the clean side of the shop. I have given away a few ragged copies over the years. Jim Hrisoulas’ other two books are important too, but if you are starting you NEED “the complete blade smith”. I do wonder what happened to book four? I am guessing Palladian press going under threw a wrench in its release?