I Forge Iron

Positive Pressure Face Masks

Ok, I started this idea in another thread, but I cannot find any information anywhere, so I decided to start here. I would like to make/fabricate a fresh air hood to keep flying sparks, welding spatter, maybe a little heat from forging and casting. Anyways it is just a thought for now.

MY intentions were to connect this to my air compressor and have a regulator on the hood. I am kind of a fat guy, and I sweat a lot and breath heavy. My welding helmet fogs up after 4 minutes of welding, and it sucks to have to stop, take off the gloves, take off the helmet, wipe off the window, put the helmet back on, put the gloves back on, blah, blah, blah... I worked in a shop where they had a setup like this. It was a anti-shatter face shield with a thick denim hood sewn together and fastened on the face shield. This whole thing had a regulator and quick disconnect on the back sticking out. This all was connected to an air hose that was suspended from the ceiling.

I was planning on a rig like this, making one out of my welding helmet and another out of the face shield, mimicking this hood I used. Now, on the other forum, , I was told that this might be a bad idea because of oil, dirt, dust, and whatever comes out of the compressor. Now, I would imagine that if I connected some sort of filter, this would be alleviated, but I'm not sure what to look for. Now, if anyone has undertaken this, or knows in what direction i can go to accomplish this, any information would be greatly appreciated.

AWS article on positive air hoods

Welding fume extractors why not just get rid of the fumes

Jackson welding hood with air
positive air welding hood
another positive air hood

Related material
FAST Helmet Technology used in racing.

No matter what you buy, the salesman gets his commission and you breathe the air on the inside of the hood.
Do some homework and remember that your personal safety is YOUR responsibility.

Not suggesting this for a filter. But the local shell divers on the river use This and they survive.
Route the air out of the compressor thru a piece of say 3"-4" with a cap on each end. Inside this three foot long piece or maybe four foot long.
They used kotex pads and aquarium charcoal.
Of course with the caps reduced to you air line size And by placing the kotex and charcoal inside. They survived. Until they started making oil free compressors.

So this is just what I seen done. And It was what most did while diving For mussel shells. Sure there are better things now. Check grangier or someplace. Cause oil air is not that good on you.
Be careful whatever you do.

I have seen mask for woodworking that have filtration but it has been awhile they were at woodcrafter you might want to check something like that out, they were full face for wood workers with beards and had all sorts of hoses

I have and use a TRITON unit that I purchased form Woodcraft . It consists of a construction helmet fitted with a face shield, and cloth dust shroud that fits tightly around the neck using a draw string. It is equipped with a filtered battery powered blower which is belted, the air entering the rear of the helmet . It also has hearing protection which I removed because of the weight ( I use ear plugs instead).

It works pretty well and cost about $200. It was the most economical of three options available at the time of my research.

I also considered but found that Compressed air from any unit other than an oiless compressor is not a good idea. Also being tethered by a hose , for me , would be much to restrictive.

Before I started using this device I experienced a lot of trouble with breathing disorders, and bronchitis. These conditions are now much improved.

Having used this device for over two years now I would not hesitate to upgrade to a lighter unit. Prior to getting my TRITON I required multiple treatments with antibiotics and Prednisone each year. The necessity of these treatments has all but disappeared.

I really would not bother trying to make up my own there are good unite available both compressor fed and fed from belt mounted fan units .
I use one for welding and grinding and now almost everything .
my unit is a 3M adflo and although they are expensive they are really good and one of the few saftey features that make life better as well as safer.