I Forge Iron

Magnetic starter for power hammer

clinton

I am planning on installing a magnetic start switch on my power hammer and I am trying to get some info so I can start shopping for one. What I have is a 3 HP single phase motor on a mechanical hammer and the only thing i could find for a switch when I set the hammer up was a disconect switch for a heating / air conditioning unit. I have heard of guys using magnetic starters on their hammers (supposed to be better on the motor)
What are you guys using? and where did you get it? I do not want to fry this motor, I did get a good deal on it but I had to search low and high to find it, a new one is not cheap

I dont think there will be any difference in the life of the motor weather you use a fused disconnect or a mag starter. Steve?? The mag starter would be my choice if I had to buy on or the other because it allows you to put the pushbutton on off switch wherever you want to, that is the benefit I see. A soft start unit will extend the life of the motor as will an inverter with a soft start.
Rob

I wouldn't say don't use a mag starter, It's the correct method.............But a 3hp motor, depending on how much it stops and starts will work fine without one, I've done it often enough..........5hp no way......Ebay has starters.........mb

I dont think there will be any difference in the life of the motor weather you use a fused disconnect or a mag starter. Steve?? The mag starter would be my choice if I had to buy on or the other because it allows you to put the pushbutton on off switch wherever you want to, that is the benefit I see. A soft start unit will extend the life of the motor as will an inverter with a soft start.
Rob

My electrician was looking into a soft start switch, but I have not heard back from him. Do you have any info on that?
Our local supply houses only stock a larger # 2 magnetic starter and I think he said that unit was around $350.00 (ouch)

I wouldn't say don't use a mag starter, It's the correct method.............But a 3hp motor, depending on how much it stops and starts will work fine without one, I've done it often enough..........5hp no way......Ebay has starters.........mb

I have looked at what is on ebay, it looks like I can get a Siemens starter for $93.00 and the start stop button for $36.00 plus shipping = $153.00 seems reasonable I just want to be sure and look at other options before I click "buy it now"
I am no expert when it comes to machines, but I do not like the sound this thing makes at start up and shut down, and sparky says that this set up is hard on the motor so I would like to change it out. Oh and my buddy the electrician owes me some work, I fixed the pipe on his Harley that was broke in two pieces.

I have looked at what is on ebay, it looks like I can get a Siemens starter for $93.00 and the start stop button for $36.00 plus shipping = $153.00 seems reasonable I just want to be sure and look at other options before I click "buy it now"
I am no expert when it comes to machines, but I do not like the sound this thing makes at start up and shut down, and sparky says that this set up is hard on the motor so I would like to change it out. Oh and my buddy the electrician owes me some work, I fixed the pipe on his Harley that was broke in two pieces.

It sounds like you will not be happy to spend $153 and have the motor make the same noises. Mag starters are just a fancy switch that does the same thing as a manual switch. Leave your manual switch and put a soft start in line with it. Or get an inverter which will give soft start and speed control and ramp down when you shut it off. Not sure if the soft start unit will slow it down on shut down or not, I do not remember.
Rob

There is never any harm in using a starter. my general rule of thumb is 3hp and below it's ok to run without (depending on the frequency of starts and how much load it's under when it starts).........5hp and above absolutely . It gets costly....I know, burned up motors hurt$$......mb

it is my understanding that this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Siemens-WS2-3-2301P-1-Phase-2-3-HP-Mag-Starter-NEMA-1-/300515227998?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f81a795e#ht_1946wt_907

is functionally no different than this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Square-D-Disconnect-30A-120-240VAC-2-3HP-97311-WOW-/320601019285?pt=BI_Circuit_Breakers_Transformers&hash=item4aa54f5395#ht_500wt_922

Not that you should or should not do anything, but a fused disconnect for an on/off on a hammer or other tool with little start up does allow for a surge on start-up, but the load is so low that it may not matter. It is a bit like just plugging it in with no nothing, but allows for a fused overload situation which just a cord would not.

I assume you have something like the latter with a frankenstein switch and some internal replaceable fuses. I believe this to be just fine for how you are using the motor. I have that on my 50# Molag and it has a 2HP motor. I also have that on a 7.5hp motor for another tool with little start-up load. No issues in some ten years. My electrician (PhD electrical engineer and licensed master electrician) looked at it an did not bat an eye and this guy just rewired a set of plugs I have which he put in last year cause he had to touch the box and the new electrical code states that only one circuit can feed any one box now..so he "had" to change it event hough it was still perfectly good under the last code, but since he had to move the box a foot to the left it "had" to be to the new code.

BUT,
you should do what you think is best.

I suggest having a look or call these guys for surplus stuff:
http://www.surpluscenter.com/home.asp

Ric