I Forge Iron

Going Blind?

metalworker77

I've been blacksmithing only since the beginning of this past summer. I built a forge with an electric blower; it has very good air flow and achieves a very bright white light, I've been leaving the blower on till till the charcoal sustains that white light for up to a minute or so. Recently I've been trying to save on charcoal so I've been putting only a small portion of charcoal on, I will wait till most of the pile is dull yellow or white hot, I sit there and stare at it monitoring it till the charcoal and steel is white hot, I remember saying to myself...wow! That

I've been blacksmithing only since the beginning of this past summer. I built a forge with an electric blower; it has very good air flow and achieves a very bright white light, I've been leaving the blower on till till the charcoal sustains that white light for up to a minute or so. Recently I've been trying to save on charcoal so I've been putting only a small portion of charcoal on, I will wait till most of the pile is dull yellow or white hot, I sit there and stare at it monitoring it till the charcoal and steel is white hot, I remember saying to myself...wow! That

While everybody seems to be concerned about UV rays damaging the eyes remember that the primary radiation given off by forge fires and hot metal is infrared rays. Welding goggles for A/O welding provide the protection that you need, but many types of eye protection that protect the eyes from UV do not also provide IR protection. When in doubt seek the advice of a qualified professional like an opthomologist. What that will cost you is much cheaper than all the accessories you will need for your new white cane and dog.

Woody

Woody is right, IR is the problem with forge fires *NOT* UV so O-A welding goggles in the lighter shades are generally suggesed not Arc goggles.

If you want to research it loog for "Glass blowers Cataracts"

This is also one of the reasons I don't like gas forges to be at "eye level" I want to discourage myself from looking in as much as possible.

Once a gas or solid fuel forge comes up to temp you should have a pretty good feel for how long a piece will take to come to the right temp.

Take your TV remote.. and your cell phone camera (other digital camera with LCD screen may work too) and point the remote at the camera lense and press a button.. you will see the IR LED light up and blink.

I use my shade 5 OA goggles sometimes when I'm heating up. I think I need to use it more. (doesn't help I use the OA torch for heating) Might get one that has the flip up lense so I can see easier when hammering.

You can see the steel start to get glossy then it goes liquid. Easy to see with the shade 5. Just remember that things are hotter than they appear through the goggles.

Take your TV remote.. and your cell phone camera (other digital camera with LCD screen may work too) and point the remote at the camera lense and press a button.. you will see the IR LED light up and blink.

I use my shade 5 OA goggles sometimes when I'm heating up. I think I need to use it more. (doesn't help I use the OA torch for heating) Might get one that has the flip up lense so I can see easier when hammering.

You can see the steel start to get glossy then it goes liquid. Easy to see with the shade 5. Just remember that things are hotter than they appear through the goggles.

Yeah Ihad to get used to the heat judgement thing, but i was working steel too cold anyway lately for some reason, so it worked out hehe.

• 1 month later...