I Forge Iron

New Work

Well, the Dr's said I needed to start stretching the repaired tendons a bit so I have. Suffering for it, but it's the best cause I can think of to suffer for. Hope you enjoy, comments as always most welcome.

:D

IAN

post-330-0-75509600-1301794064_thumb.jpg

post-330-0-79966400-1301794082_thumb.jpg

post-330-0-19603500-1301794100_thumb.jpg

post-330-0-03971300-1301794115_thumb.jpg

post-330-0-74397400-1301794129_thumb.jpg

Ian, I'm so glad that you have been given a green light to start up again. That is a great way to exercise your hand when done in moderation. They are so cool!
I agree fully with Bryan. Your hand rehab work is better than my healthy work. Keep it up and you'll be back to full speed in no time. Try not to cut your hand off again please.

Mark<><

Nice frog, I was contemplating , after gazing at the frog, that maybe one could be made from angle iron, I will give it a shot . Thank you for the inspiration!
Congratulations on returning to the work you were so destined to do, keep up the rehab!

Elegant butterfly, graceful snail, leaping tree frog, screws, terrible, yeah, most likely just temporary, I sure hope so! Actually the ones for the frogs eyes looked pretty good but the one on his butt was just wrong! I hope that at least they were stainless steel going into the tree and not plain steel or ones with any coating. I remember when I was a young lad the tree surgeon I worked for hated folk who drove any nail into a tree because it started rot and death for the tree and coated nails were just as bad or worse so when bolting trees together for added strength we used stainless steel, no rot there. Any way maybe a counter sunk screw for frog's butt and align the slot to run fore and aft. Use the same idea for the snail and maybe some hand made decorative nails for the butterfly. It's good to see the results of your physical therapy looking so fine! :P

Thanks guys :D

The frog was entirely chisel cut out of a bit of 2 inch by 2 inch by 1/4 inch angle iron. Only bit of 'forging' per say was to flatten it out from 90 degree's.
I didn't want to use any visible screws in any of the pieces apart from in the frogs eyes, but it's what I had available to mount them securely. All on public display at the Farm so they have to be as solidly fixed as possible. When I can I'll make the countersinks etc needed to clean them up.

Glad you all like them though.

Beth, there's another post regarding my injury floating about, it's not pretty though! Nearly took off my right thumb...

It's getting better though :)

• 3 weeks later...

Ian,
I tried to send you a message but your mailbox must be full.
Here is what I was trying to send.
You wrote in a thread from early 2010 about a dragon door knocker that had a tapering pineapple twist for the body and tail. The link to the picture is dead. Do you have another copy of the picture? It certainly sounds interesting.

Iron Falcon,
I'm really sorry but I'm afraid I don't. The picture was taken by the Dragons owner/maker (who I 'helped'). He is a UK member of Iforge though, called Manny (I think his user name is Manny O War or something similar) you could try and PM or email him and ask if he still has any photo's of it (or if he'd be willing to take some more, as it's in his house after all)
The tapered pineapple twist is a bit tricky but looks great. If you're wanting to try one I'd suggest using adjustable spanners with smooth jaws. If you've got an old set you don't mind altering (or ruining) then grind the jaws to the angle of the taper, it'll make life much easier. You also have to do the twists in sections starting from the thickest end and working up to the thinner end.
Hope that helps a bit at least

IAN