I Forge Iron

What can i do with it?

Hello All, i'm posting this here because i wasnt sure where else to put it. I have a 1/6 hp fan motor that runs at 1075 rpm and im trying to figure out what i can use it for in my shop. It is brand new. I bought it recently to replace the fan motor on my A/C only to find out that the compressor was out also. Anyways, thats another story. I was thinking of mounting it and using a shaft arbor to adapt it to fit a buffing wheel or something. What do you guys think? Is 1075rpm to slow/fast? Is there a better use i could put it to? Can i mount a bench grinder stone on it? Any ideas are appreciated.

Guest Johnnie

Hi, Guess there is no harm in trying it as a bench grinder. It may not be guttsy enough for a larger wheel and you may need to fabricate the fan spindle to accomadate the right bore size of the wheel.
Also a buffing wheel for polishing as they are simple to fit!
Have fun, and please let us know what you do with it!

it is rather low in power; HOWEVER there is a virtue in a buffing wheel where you can choke the motor on it if something goes wrong!

When I worked with the swordmaker he used an underpowered buffer for just that reason, willing to spend more time but be a lot safer when you are buffing a meter long blade!

I had another friend who had a 3 hp buffer in his armour making shop and I didn't want to be in the building or close to it when it was running!

Thanks for the replies guys. I think i'll prob go with an Arbor shaft adapter and buffing wheel. Although i did see a 10" sanding disk with a 5'8 arbor adapter that can be placed on a table saw in order to be converted into disk grinder going for $40 on amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Table-Saw-Sanding-Disk-SANDING/dp/B001D6MF9Y Any thoughts on if that would be worth trying? I get off work for a couple days starting tomorrow morn and will try to get started on it. I'll put up some pics and let ya'll know how it works when i get it up and running. Thanks again!!

Clodbuster- I don't make many tools but have started making knives and I've kicked around the idea of an arbor mounted sharpening stone but wasnt sure how it would work out. Was thinking maybe a coarse or medium stone to get the edges dialed in a bit and i could finish up with my handheld stones.

Thomas- I'm just a few miles from Beamont so we are neighbors of a sort:)

Thanks again for all the advise. I'll let ya'll know which way i go when i decide and i'll put up a couple pics when i can.

Clodbuster- I don't make many tools but have started making knives and I've kicked around the idea of an arbor mounted sharpening stone but wasnt sure how it would work out. Was thinking maybe a coarse or medium stone to get the edges dialed in a bit and i could finish up with my handheld stones.

Thomas- I'm just a few miles from Beamont so we are neighbors of a sort:)

Thanks again for all the advise. I'll let ya'll know which way i go when i decide and i'll put up a couple pics when i can.

Beamont. Yep, neighbors but not so close to be a bad neighbor! I highly recommend hooking up with the Houston ABANA group. http://www.habairon.org is their web site. Great bunch of folks and will help any way they can. Some good bladesmiths in the group too. Ya ever get up this way give me a holler, my shop is always open.

Aftist- i prob could have if i hadnt lost the reciept. Now im just trying to get some use out of it. To be honest, the closer it gets to summer here in Southeast Texas the more im thinking of using it as the fan it was ment to be used as.

Thomas- Thats mighty neighborly of you:). If im ever up that away i'll have to do that. I've looked up the Houston ABANA group but havent joined yet. I would really like to make it to a hammer-in, demo or a class sometime. All in due time i guess. Thanks again for the info!!