I Forge Iron

Coal Forge Idea

Dillon

I have a brake drum that I made into a forge. It works fine but I was thinking about attaching it on some type of a table, so that my green coal will turn into coke. My idea was to sit the brake drum down into a washer machine lid. Do yall think this will work? I just wasn't sure if the lid would support the drum or if it was too thin. Do yall have any suggestions?

Dillon,
Welcome to IFI. This is the place to ask questions and get answers. Just to prove that, here is an answer:

Have I got a suggestion for you! Go back one click and you're there. Blacksmithing > Forges > Solid Fuel Forges > The 55 forge blueprints. Or just click on the link below. I have built my brake drum forge this way with a few modifications and it works Great!

Where are you located? There might be a blacksmith nearby who can help.

Mark <><

Thanks for welcoming me in. This website is very interesting and I have learned a lot from here.

Thanks I looked at the Blueprint 55 and it is very similar to what I was talking about. Did you use the barrel idea from the blueprint? Also what were your modifications to it.

I am in Columbus, Georgia. I know a few people in phenix city. I am part of the AFC. We meet every 4th saturday, I can talk to a few of them next time I go. But I was just seeing what anyone else thought.

Here is how I put my break drum forge together. My link

Well I have been improving my set up. I got tired of being hunched over on the ground it was killing my back. So it was time to make an ergonomic change. I took the drum lid and cut a hole in the center with my trusty Dremel big enough for the brake drum to fit into allowing the lip of it to rest on the lid. Then I went to the local handy dandy Home Depot and picked up 3 1/2 floor flanges and 3 1/2X30 threaded nipples to act as table legs an bolted them up to the under side of the lid. The next part of the project was how to feed air to the fire pot. First I had to come up with an air supply so off I go to the local Goodwill store were I was able to get a second hand hair dryer for $5. Then down the road to the plumbing supply store for the fittings. I got two 2"X6" threaded nipples, One 2"X4" threaded nipple, One 2" Tee, One 2" floor flange, and One 2" pipe cap (note all peices are black iron the use of galvanized parts subjected to high temps gives off toxic fumes that can kill you :shock:) .

To put it all together. First off I had to drill new holes in the flange as the break drum is of a 5 lug set up and the flange only has 4 holes. After that it was just a mater of bolting the flange to the drum and screwing all the rest of the parts to the flange (I wont go into detail the pics explain it).

I lit it up to check function HOLY MOSSES this thing really gets hot fast. :lol: This is a night and day difference from the old forge. The old set up worked but it was a kin to a 4 cylinder this thing is a ticked off V8 HEMI. :D Well enough of my rambling on to the pics.
Here it is all put together ready to go.
Resized to 79% (was 640 x 480) - Click image to enlarge100_0044.jpg

A shot of the underside to show how all the fittings mate together.
Resized to 79% (was 640 x 480) - Click image to enlarge100_0046.jpg

Inside the firebox. I made the grate out of a piece of sheet metal.
Resized to 79% (was 640 x 480) - Click image to enlarge100_0045.jpg

Flame on :D The hair dryer is on its lowest setting I found out quick that putting it on high sends flaming coals 3' in the air :o
Resized to 79% (was 640 x 480) - Click image to enlarge100_0048.jpg

Here is a railroad spike that I am turning into a small tomahawk for my youngest.
Resized to 79% (was 640 x 480) - Click image to enlarge100_0049.jpg

Danger Dillon, Can you tell me a little more about the meeting? That sounds very interesting and I would love to attend.

Jreed, Thanks for the pics you put up. I am going to do something like you did. I will post some pics of it when I get done with mine. It will probaly be next week before I can work on it though. Is the brake drum just sitting in the hole? Also does the coal coke up pretty good on the outside?

Thanks Yall

Hair dryer puts out too much air for charcoal---try it with the dump cap *off* and see if that makes it a better mannered beast.

I solved that problem long ago. I just choke the intake for the hair drier with duct tape.