I Forge Iron

arc welding

Argon isn't the best shielding gs to use on mild steel. 75/25 75% argon 25% CO2 works a lot better.

Now, I don't want to hurt your feelings but you really should learn to weld before you start using a mig welder. Migs are known as the Lawyer's welder for a good reason. It's really easy to make a pretty LOOKING weld and have one side cold lapped, no penetration. A cold lapped weld will fail as soon as stress is put on it.

I recommend finding a community college with a welding course. They'll start you out O/A welding which will teach you the necessary basics. You can't make good welds without knowing what a puddle is, how to get equal penetration, how to control the puddle, how and when to fill the puddle and so on. As you may have guessed a proper puddle is essential.

The problem with a mig welder is it fills the puddle almost as fast as it makes it, in fact it will fill without a puddle at all. This is a cold lap and has won many a lawyer a good living in court.

I don't intend to discourage you but I don't want to see you put something together only to have it come apart at a bad time. I don't have so many friends I can afford to let one get hurt if I can help it.

Frosty

Not meaning to be contraversial but I use 75/25 argon/c02 in the shop here. We use 95/5 ( Argon/02 ) at work for mild. The gasses will make the puddle freeze at different rates along with the adjustments on ( and sometimes inside ) the welder. 100 % argon I use for TIG. Moon gas must be a trade name like Tri mix or Stargon, I've never heard of it ( but lotta things I've never heard of either ). As has been mentined, training is the key. A good CLEAN lens of the proper shade will allow you to watch whats happening. Would appear from your posts that you are using stick. What kind of welder and setup are you using ? Dry electrodes make a major difference.