I Forge Iron

Who are these people Painting anvils????

Guest DanielT

Guest DanielT

Just picked up 100 pound Vulcan anvil which was covered in barn grime that I have scrubbed off but it also has about 3 coats of paint on it.

What is the best way to clean off the paint and rust? Should I use a chemical paint stripper or CLR to get rid of the rust?
I am sure I am not the first one who has had to do this so hopefully there are some tricks to make it easy.
I have tried a wire wheel and that gets some of it off but it is a long process.

I know the best way would probably be sand blasting but I don't have the money for that or know anyone that does sand blasting.

Thanks for the help,
Daniel

Daniel, a stiff wire wheel on a 4" angle grinder takes time, but seems to be about the best way. Clean the major rust from the face and leave the paint on the sides. It doesn't hurt anything......(Unless it's hot pink, or similar) :rolleyes: My Vulcan still has remnants of Orange paint that someone put on it a long time ago. :D

post-1549-0-25036800-1298172595_thumb.jp

They do make paint stripping wheels that fit on an angle grinder or chuck up in a drill. I use them sometimes to remove scale but leave the forge finish. They can leave a bit of scratching if you let them sit in one spot for too long, but not bad. Should be able to find them at Wal*Mart, Home Despot, or similar.

Use a 4" angle grinder with a wire weel, then coat it with some oil!!

Or you can use a knotted wire cup in your 4" angle grinder.
I had a 300lb anvil covered with 4 layers of paint (at least). Using a knotted wire cup in my angle grinder I had that anvil cleaned in around 30 minutes. It really is the best way - chemical strippers are much messier.
But if you use a wire cup, I recommend wearing a full face shield. The wires in a cup are stiffer and thicker than in a standard wire wheel. When one of those wires comes flying off, it has quite a bit of sting on it ... caught a piece off my cheek before I wised up.

Paint is also a good means of preventing deterioration due to rust and the like. Regular cleaning and painting makes iron and steel last much longer.

Knotted cup in the angle grinder, wear face shield and dust mask. Moisten the surface (not wet, just a few spritz of water, or STOP and wipe with a wet rag) if the paint is balling up on you.

Phil