I Forge Iron

Shear making (scissors)

Ric Furrer

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=184163436154365665#
The above video is quite wonderful...great technique and a display of mastery of a technique.

I wish we had more documented cases of this sort...old masters simply...working.
Apparently he began his apprenticeship at age 13.

Ric

Ric Thanks
Very interesting technique hard to tell if this was always the traditional French way of making these or if it is a newer 19th century method.
The 17th century English method was to forge the finger loops by drawing out, wrapping over and welding at the shank just behind the joint area since the short grain of iron would not allow punching and stretching. Then much smaller pieces of steel were laid on in the manner used for making draw knives for the cutting edges.
It seems to me that his method might have been devised in a later period when steel became less costly and mild steel superseded wrought iron.

Ric Thanks
Very interesting technique hard to tell if this was always the traditional French way of making these or if it is a newer 19th century method.
The 17th century English method was to forge the finger loops by drawing out, wrapping over and welding at the shank just behind the joint area since the short grain of iron would not allow punching and stretching. Then much smaller pieces of steel were laid on in the manner used for making draw knives for the cutting edges.
It seems to me that his method might have been devised in a later period when steel became less costly and mild steel superseded wrought iron.

Oh, to be sure...if material is scarce I would think he would have wadded up the shears from whatever was around...I have seen hinges and some axes which looked like lumps of clay with globs put here and there as needed.
For what you can get out a single small bit i suggest you have a look at the Bulldog shovel video.....and SMITHY1...have a look at what a whole host of dies and tools can accomplish:

I'd like to work there for a few days to see all the forging tools in action.
About the time I get all the tools I want I'll sell them and retire.

Japanese stuff as well:
http://web.mac.com/nami_aru/Daiku/いらっしゃい.html
four videos in there.

Anyone got anything similar...I'd like to see them...maybe something European again?

Ric

Thanks very much, Ric. There were at least a dozen things I noticed in that vid that made me say, "wow" or "cool." Not least of them being the efficiency and power with which he wielded his hammer -- at the age of 90!

I wonder how many sets he had to make before he no longer found himself saying, "ah, dang, I made that left-handed!" and the like.

Thanks very much, Ric. There were at least a dozen things I noticed in that vid that made me say, "wow" or "cool." Not least of them being the efficiency and power with which he wielded his hammer -- at the age of 90!

I wonder how many sets he had to make before he no longer found himself saying, "ah, dang, I made that left-handed!" and the like.

A question about the Japanese vids. In this one, how on earth did he keep the face on when he heated it for welding? http://web.mac.com/nami_aru/Daiku/Genno.html

I was wondering what that powder was as well. I know they use boric acid in the mix, but it sure was sticky.........I'll look into it.

Ric

I was wondering what that powder was as well. I know they use boric acid in the mix, but it sure was sticky.........I'll look into it.

Ric

Thanks, ric, that'd be very cool to know. I have some hammer sized wrought that I've never played with, because I didn't like any of the ideas I had for holding the face in place for welding.

I just cannot stop watching this video. One time to see product, another to see all i can of shop and tools. another to try to pick up hints that are in his technique, too subtle to be mentioned in commentary. See how he goes to hardy and hammer is there to steady work before he strikes, and so much more to see, that tool that is in the hardy hole when he brings weld together, whats it called? what is it for? and the scarf on cold piece. what a MASTER !