I Forge Iron

dinner bell jig

2 hours ago, sabc15 said:

Hi. can any of you guys point me in the right direction as to where to buy a  dinner bell triangle, I am looking to buy a large one to go on the porch of a ranch style house I am building in France. regards.stuart.

Welcome aboard Stuart, glad to have you.

There are a number of blacksmiths on Iforge living in France but that's about as close as we can say. If you'll put your general location in the header it will speed things up. 

A dinner bell / triangle, is very basic if you have access to a torch just a matter of minutes. The trick to make them sound well is to make the 3 sides  slightly different lengths. When you hang it it has to be from a leather thong or a cord, metal like a nail will turn the sound into an unpleasant buzz.

It doesn't need to be special steel, 10mm. square or 12mm. round. makes about the same tone and is easy to work with. Heck you can use a cooking fire and metal stake in the ground to make one. 

Anyway, if you'd prefer to have one made professionally I'd ask provincial building or livestock supply stores. If you ask home designers or architects you'll get much higher prices than necessary. If there are horse ranches you could ask the owner. These people may not be able to make what you want but they'll probably know who can.

Make sense?

Frosty The Lucky.