I Forge Iron

Railroad track as an anvil?

yes, and the rr track does make a serviceable anvil.

Where is here? There are anvils out there but we need to know where you are located in order to assist you.

For an anvil, look for any metal with a mass of 50 to 100 pounds, the heavier the better of course. A fork lift fork, a scrap piece of steel, look for the mass.

Thanks but i dont need a real anvil, just doing real light work......I was just wondering what you guys thought about it...

OK here is my story. I started out with a #37 lb track anvil. I have 5 real anvils. Can ya have my shop made RR track
anvil? Hell no. A good track anvil is a great starter or fine use anvil. Make a lot of jewelery n it.
Ken.

I started with a 4ft piece of track. It did everything I needed it to as a beginning blacksmith. When I was no longer a beginning blacksmith(in my mind :lol: ) I moved up to a RR train coupler knuckle. It did everything I needed it to at that time and although I now have a real anvil, I still use the RR track and the coupler knuckle for some jobs.

The railroad track still serves a purpose and I just like it. So does the coupler. The track is a great starter anvil.

Be patient, an anvil will present itself.

Mark<><
(still a beginning blacksmith :P )

I started with a 4ft piece of track. It did everything I needed it to as a beginning blacksmith. When I was no longer a beginning blacksmith(in my mind :lol: ) I moved up to a RR train coupler knuckle. It did everything I needed it to at that time and although I now have a real anvil, I still use the RR track and the coupler knuckle for some jobs.

The railroad track still serves a purpose and I just like it. So does the coupler. The track is a great starter anvil.

Be patient, an anvil will present itself.

Mark<><
(still a beginning blacksmith :P )

Im just making flint strikers out of old files...( i know i should use new stock but i have so many worn out files its not even funny) so its not like i need a 250# anvil...Yes ive managed to find a deal on a 55# pound anvil until i found out it was cast iron....Figures doesn't it?

OK here is my story. I started out with a #37 lb track anvil. I have 5 real anvils. Can ya have my shop made RR track
anvil? Hell no. A good track anvil is a great starter or fine use anvil. Make a lot of jewelery n it.
Ken.

I guesstimate mine to be about 30-40 pounds...need to get it on the scale...

RR rail makes an OK anvil for light work. Mass under the hammer is what you generally look for so a block of steel works better than a bar---unless you set the bar vertically---some of the knifemakers are using vertical 4-6" Sq stock as anvils nowadays.

Why should you use new stock for strikers? Been smithing over 30 years now and I don't recall *anybody* ever using new stock for strikers---old files and hay rake tines seem to be favorites.

RR rail makes an OK anvil for light work. Mass under the hammer is what you generally look for so a block of steel works better than a bar---unless you set the bar vertically---some of the knifemakers are using vertical 4-6" Sq stock as anvils nowadays.

Why should you use new stock for strikers? Been smithing over 30 years now and I don't recall *anybody* ever using new stock for strikers---old files and hay rake tines seem to be favorites.

Well about the new stock thing...its more of not having to deal with contaminants like bearing grease. Ah...well you do have 30 years of smihting on me..hehe...

Right now I have two pieces of forklift fork.
1) 14" X 4" X 2"
2)7" X 8" X 1.5"

you could have either piece for what I get if I scrap them. Right now I am getting about 13 cents a pound plus the shipping cost or if you are close to Waukesha Wisconsin you could pick it up.

I have had pieces as big as 12 x 18 X 4 but right now all I have that is not covered by snow are those two pieces

Right now I have two pieces of forklift fork.
1) 14" X 4" X 2"
2)7" X 8" X 1.5"

you could have either piece for what I get if I scrap them. Right now I am getting about 13 cents a pound plus the shipping cost or if you are close to Waukesha Wisconsin you could pick it up.

I have had pieces as big as 12 x 18 X 4 but right now all I have that is not covered by snow are those two pieces

No keep them...this piece of railroad is sturdy...its all i need actually....I couldnt afford the shipping.

The reason alot of us bladesmiths are using blocks like that is because we don't have alot of use for an anvil horn or hardy hole. A small block like that lets us work either edge of a double edge blade with a minimum of effort. As in my other thread, I am considering building an anvil like that from a block of mild with a face welded to it. Should end up looking a bit like a sawyer's anvil when I am done.

And, RR track makes a fine anvil for an oddiment of jobs. My mother bought one for me at a garage sale a few months back after I told her to grab any anvil she saw if it were under $20 and call me if she found any that were more. I since gave it to my 11yr. old daughter after cleaning it up of course. Well, I find that it works a treat as an upsetting block if I put it on the floor of the shop. It annoys my kid cuz her shiny anvil gets dirty, but she puts up with it so I don't banish her from the shop.