I Forge Iron

Great Morning, scrap yard rescue...

Well we went to our friends scrap yard this morning to buy steel for a new vise stand. Not actually buy, we take some hand made knives and trade for everything..Well this nice farriers anvil came in and had to give it a good home :lol: Traded a knife for it. The anvil was basically free as we had no money in the knife, just a few hours of time. He probably had $13 in the anvil so we both came home happy.The second anvil we have from his scrap yard..
Good condition. Good edges,no gouges.Great rebound.. No manufacturers markings that I can find at all..It reminds me of a bay hudden farriers anvil but Im not sure..What do you guys think?????
newpics364.jpg

You know what, I didnt even notice that :lol: We have been busy working on the vise stand today and really havent looked it over real well since we cleaned it up..Ill take a better look..

Is that a faint diamond that I see on the side? If so, it is probably a Trenton.

The base has some cast lines on it and if I am not mistaken later Trentons used cast bases. If it is a Trenton it will have the weight in pounds on the front of the foot and a serial number on the front of the other foot. (Leading edge of the base under the horn.)

Well theres no doubt, its a Trenton. I cleaned the side best I could and chalked it. You can just make out the stamp and the diamond..The only numbers I can make out on the right fron foot (as your facing the horn) are a "18"..Thats it..Im very pleased :D
Thomas, I had two knives and was perfectly willing to trade them both but he was happy with one. So I traded the other for a load of steel.. ;)

congratulations that is a killer find. Now for a sad story of my own to bring the mood back down. Went to the scrap yard, and i asked if the had any anvils? Guy replies back; we had 3 of them but we just crushed them. :blink: man that sucked, What a world.

Hopefully you told them that the next time they get any anvils in to give you a call.

Mark<><

I just met the local scrappers---the guys that go around picking up scrap from people. Gave them my card and told them that I'd gladly pay US$1 a pound for anvils in good condition. They too told me that they had just recently scrapped on at "scrap rate". I hope they start raiding my wallet!

Trentons are great anvils---we believe my 410# anvil is a trenton---life at a mine in AZ erased it's markings. Funny thing: it was made in Columbus OH and I bought it quite close to Columbus OH; but the fellow I bought it from picked it up in AZ and now it's in NM...

I have got to make more friends who own scrap yards. Then again, I don't know if anything we have here in Vermont qualifies as a scrap yard. We have automotive junk yards that sometimes have stuff in the back of the pickups, and we have All Metals Recycling that is where you take metals to sell it. I hear they are going to stop buying and charge a reclaiming fee soon. I guess they'll be out of business shortly afterwards unless the State and towns decided to start prosecuting for "Junk". That's not a joke. My town has the ordinance already.

I have got to make more friends who own scrap yards. Then again, I don't know if anything we have here in Vermont qualifies as a scrap yard. We have automotive junk yards that sometimes have stuff in the back of the pickups, and we have All Metals Recycling that is where you take metals to sell it. I hear they are going to stop buying and charge a reclaiming fee soon. I guess they'll be out of business shortly afterwards unless the State and towns decided to start prosecuting for "Junk". That's not a joke. My town has the ordinance already.

Sounds like a government contractor company.
Scrap prices are have doubled and are headed up again so let`s start charging people to bring the stuff to us.Sounds like a plan there governor.
Bound to be a shot in the arm for all the out of work folks with pickup trucks looking to buy heating oil.
Around here(Maine) there are guys advertising in the local papers and on Craigslist,Freecycle,etc "Will come pick up your scrap metal and clean up the area AT ABSOLUTELY NO COST TO YOU".
Those are the guys you want to contact about anvils.

you never seen one of the big hydraulic crushing machines that leaves a neat square block of twisted metal when its done ? an anvil would be like butter in one of those.

seems like they are already as crushed as they are ever going to be.

Bob

Yea, either way its gone :angry: Ive been looking for an old swage block for ever. Ive got a salt fork craftsman block and its great but we really,really need one with different size holes in it..No luck there. Ive never seen a swage block around here.Period..Just makes me wonder how manys went to scrap because people didnt know what they were <_<

It's not so much that the anvil is crushed it's that it's embedded in a cube of other stuff that is crushed down and so no longer accessible.