I Forge Iron

Fixing a vise (jaws dont line up)

KYBOY

Im curious.Say you have a post vise where the jaws dont line up just right..Has anyone tried heating a small section of the frame to bend/tweak the vise to make the jaws line up correctly? Does it sound visable?

I usually straighten them cold in a hydraulic press... Just give it a lil bump till she squares up, No reason why it could not be done with heat.. but might be trickier to nail just because it will move around slightly as it heats and cools

southshoresmith, do you mean the pivot where the bolt goes thru and the jaw posts pivot?? Thanks

I fixed up a vise with Peter Ross at penland in NC about 10 years ago. He said most of the time the problem is in the pivot the cheeks get bent. That's where you need to bend it not on the bar under the jaws. After I tried that the jaws lined up nice and stayed that way.

that's where mine is sprung; the jaws are 1/4 inch out of mesh when closed... the problem as I see it is the back part of the pivot is thicker than the front. when you put it in the forge and get it hot everything lines up. then as it cools the front springs open wider. I think the whole bottom pivot area of the front jaw needs to be the same thickness at the joint.

I had one where the jaws were quite out of line vertically and I hot riveted the original pivot hole in the moving jaw shut and re-drilled it and works fine now!

That's why I was asking. My six" had major movable jaw sag. I lined it up, imobilised it, re-bored the hole with an endmill (to prevent drill-bit drift) and made a new rivet.

When using a post vise, try to do heavy striking over the stationary jaw if possible.

Got the vise today. Its a nice vise. Screw and box are perfect. I took it apart built a BIG fire :P and heated the leg. Square it up with a flatter and it lined up side to side perfectly. Well it was out of line vertically a bit as well. So since I was in there I fixed that too. Now it lines up perfect. Forged a spring for it as well..I was gonna forge a traditional mounting bracket but I dont have the 1 1/2" square on hand so Im gonna make a temporary "U" bolt mount for now..