I Forge Iron

spring breakage on goliath power hammer.

Had a spring go on my goliath 60lb hammer today . very un traumatic .I noticed that the hammer was "slapping" a little and the dies were now touching . there was a slight change of sound .
cut the leather off of one side and behold a broken spring .
I have had 3 springs break on the 3 different mechanicals I have had ( two 60's and a 150lb ), they have all been origional springs (i think) . all of them were enclosed in a leather sheath to prevent the spring escaping in a case of breakage .
This method works very very well I would recommend it .It may be that the LG springs are under a lot more force .
Anyhow I have sent the broken spring off for re making and should have it back in a week . replacement springs are £110 a pair which in this day and age is pretty good . I am glad that you can still get custom springs in the UK.

Basher,

bad luck but good you can replace it. Do you have a picture of the leather covering? I just got a LG 25 and it needs a shield to stop any flying metal in case of spring break. I would like some thing that doesn't get in the way so I am curious on how it looks.

Brian Pierson

post-91-0-08140300-1294438406_thumb.jpg post-91-0-34689200-1294438407_thumb.jpg

I like this guard. I got the pics from the forgemagic site. Originally posted by Tio Pick.

Bob

Basher,

thanks for the picture.

Bob S,

thanks for the pictures. You posted those for me when I was asking and I didn't reply. My apologies.

I have my hammer now so I have to build a house for it this spring. Once that is done then the shield. I may combine the two. I will have to see what kind of clearance I will have.

Brian Pierson

One of the ways we would guard springs in some of the machinery we ran was to find a piece of hose with an ID that allowed it to just slide over the spring and cut it to fit the application.Hydraulic hose is reinforced so it should contain just about anything a sheet metal guard will.You can cut reinforced hose with a cut off saw,I`d do it outside though.It makes lots of thick nasty smoke.

• 8 years later...
19 hours ago, OldGit said:

Hi Basher

could you give me the name of the custom spring manufacture.

cheers 

I am afraid that I no longer have records for the 2 spring manufacturers I used one in St Ives and one in NE London. both were prompt and did good work. there are lots of them around though I would just do a search...