I Forge Iron

post vise

mather68

I was just rummaging around in my landlords shop, he told me to get any scrap iron I want, and came across a post vise in really great shape. It was in the back corner covered in dust and farm dirt and probably hadn't been seen or used in many a year. Tomorrow I'll ask him if he wants to sell it. I know he'll let me use it.

Thomas Powers has this theory for anvils that if you tell everyone you know, work, church, school, neighborhood, grocery store, etc, that you are looking for an anvil you will eventually find one and quite possible many. I imagine the same works for post vises and other items.

Good luck,
Mark<><

Yes but anvils are a special case as many smiths seemed to have sold out their entire shop when they retired or moved but they kept their anvil! So in a generation or two someone ends up with an anvil with no emotional tie or use for it. (And sometimes with an emotional tie---they want to see it *used* just like great grand dad used to!)

Postvises and other smithing stuff tend more toward the "junk" category---*but* they can be indicators: We were test driving a possible newer car once and out in the country I spotted a 5.5" post vise leaning against a falling down barn. My wife wouldn't let me stop until *after* we bought the car and then I went back and bought both the vise and a 125# PW from the old gentleman living next to that barn.

Yes but anvils are a special case as many smiths seemed to have sold out their entire shop when they retired or moved but they kept their anvil! So in a generation or two someone ends up with an anvil with no emotional tie or use for it. (And sometimes with an emotional tie---they want to see it *used* just like great grand dad used to!)

Postvises and other smithing stuff tend more toward the "junk" category---*but* they can be indicators: We were test driving a possible newer car once and out in the country I spotted a 5.5" post vise leaning against a falling down barn. My wife wouldn't let me stop until *after* we bought the car and then I went back and bought both the vise and a 125# PW from the old gentleman living next to that barn.

Thomas, sounds to me like she wanted that car bad enough to use your need/want for the vise as leverage.

Enjoy your new car and post vise and anvil. :D

Mark<><

That was about 15 years ago. The "newer" car became the "older" car and has been replaced with the newer minivan. My 21 year old pickup is next in line!

We don't negotiate. I make the money and she runs the budget. If she says I can buy something I buy it. If it's *no* then I do without. We were debt free except for the house mortgage until we helped out the kids. Now I'm waiting till we're clear again to see about a newer truck and a newer insulin pump (with good insurance the co-pay for the pump is about $2000!)