I Forge Iron

Help me get forging temps in my LP Diamondback

Ranger604

I am sure it is simple, I know it has been done. I enjoy my Diamondback, 2 burner a lot. Tried some forging, very briefly when I could not get past orange color on the steel.

I had the needle valve full open and the regulator set at 7 - 8 psi.

My guess is I need to pump the fuel to it and boost the psi. What psi should I start at and where or what psi should I not pass?

Any other hints will recieve hardy thanks!!!

I was trying to weld 3 or 4 pcs of 1/8th rounds and am using anti-borax welding flux.

If you are new to forge welding you most likely will not be able to weld those small diameter pieces until you master all the moves and skills by welding larger pieces first. Try half in sq faggot welds,,like maybe 30 or 40 of them. then the same with three eights and then quarter. That little size loses heat so fast that it just may not be the forge that is giving you troubles. If you are experienced with forge welding and cannot make a weld with half inch in that forge call the maker. And for wot pressure to begin with also contact the maker. Also remember that any weld done on a cold anvil will be a challenge. This is a chilly time of year here so if I wanted to weld something I would warm me and the anvil up by forgeing something elsed first. Or warm a thick piece of metal to lay on the anvil to warm the anvil a bit. I would not lay a real hot peice of steel on a real cold anvil..take it in steps.

My old double atmospheric shoeing forge is not a Diamondback. I forge at around 6-8 lbs. but crank it up to around 14+ to weld. I used to weld horseshoes with it(20 yrs ago)daily using fourth inch and 5/16 stock.In my forge-when the metal blended in to the color of the forge it was ready to weld. TAP,don't smack to start with... The newer forges are probably more efficient so experiment with pressures...

Ive welded a LOT in a two burner diamondback. You need to crank up the PSI..You can start to weld high carbons steel around 9-10 PSI after a good long heat up(mild requires more)..We usually run our at 13-15 psi for welding so it heats back up faster between welds. Your forge will get way past welding heat, it just takes more juice ;)

Ranger604, I just got back home last evening, I read and replied to your email this morning. KYBOY is correct, temps increase with fuel pressure, 7-8PSI is a forging heat in that model. Turn it up to 15PSI and see what you get, you can adjust it up or down from that point, depending on your results.

I didn't get that from Jymm's post. What I got was a simple "The folks who made it should be the true experts in it's use/abuse and going directly to the source would be the best way to start"---a simple variation on what we in the IT world would call "RTFM".

Most manufacturers are delighted to help users---solves a lot of problems early and creates good will and repeat business.