I Forge Iron

How did you get started blacksmithing

Actually the Smithsonian has my wife's goose wing axe that Isaac Doss made for her.  They had been asking him for something for their collections and he was quite proud of the axe. Unfortunately his cataracts had gotten so bad he wasn't up to making another at that time and was winding things down.  My wife had been driving him around to all the old hardware stores selling his hoe's and breaker bars  for a while.  He asked if he could have the axe back to give to the Smithsonian and she said yes(---before I knew her! )  Then he had successful cataract surgery and was back as a full time smith!   She introduced me to him years later and I sure lusted after his 400# double horned columbian anvil;  but he wanted $5 a pound back in the late 1980's.  Sigh.

I just realized I'd not participated in this thread.  So here goes:

My journey into blacksmithing started as a result of my best friend Chuck's death in the Fall of 2017.  I had known him since the early 90's.  Chuck was not only my best friend but mentor in all things wood and my carving instructor.  He died of Pancreatic Cancer.......the same disease that took my late wife in 2001.  About 2 months before his death he asked me to take over his wood carving class at the local Vo-Tech.   The week after his funeral, I proceeded to finish out the Fall session of his class.   Then I started the Spring class.  As "my" new class was progressing, the students kept asking when I was going to start making copies of my late Uncle Bob's wood carvings knives..................as if the skill were inherited!   My late Uncle Bob was well known for his wonderful wood carving knives all over Oklahoma and surrounding States.  If you ever come across and RWG knife, be extra stingy with it.  They are "keepers".  The students hounded and hounded until I started trying to duplicate some of his knives by the "removal" method.  Time went by and I started looking into the "strange new world" of fire, hammer and anvil.  I joined IFI in April of 2019 and have been going down one rabbit hole after another ever since.  I feel as if I've moved very slowly in this new venture, but have actually covered a lot of ground in the last 14 months.  Found a good anvil, thanks to Thomas Powers TPAAAT process.  Same with a Leg Vise.  Built a propane forge.  Located a 100# Propane Tank for it.  Got a 2x72 grinder.  Got an ARC welder and am trying to learn how to use it.  Oh, heck, you know how it all goes.   Eventually made a couple of sheath knives on the anvil and some smaller wood carving blades there also.  Have expanded my blacksmithing equipment along the way just like any new smith, but have also been putting bladesmithing equipment in my shop at the same time.  It seems as if it takes forever to get everything put together, but I'm getting there thanks to the help from all the good folks here on the forum.  I participate in a similar Bladesmithing forum and the guys there are as helpful as those here.

5 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

I sure lusted after his 400# double horned columbian anvil;  but he wanted $5 a pound back in the late 1980's.  Sigh.

You're not the only one. His son kept that anvil out of all his equipment. After Don passed away, Wanda his daughter in law still has it and will not part with it for love nor money.