I Forge Iron

Help buying an anvil for my shop

Hi,I'm looking at buying an anvil for my shop - RR track is not heavy enough for some farm repairs. Anyway, I've run across these 2 options and they both seem to be a little "short on info" - would be interested in your inputs.
Thanks.

First one: no pic here's what I got after inquiry -"Upon closer inspection, it is stamped "Sweden" and has a symbol that includes an anchor. Edges have been welded. It does ring." That's all.

Second one: Picture in attached file, no weight/size given. Comments "I can at least lift the anvil so I am guessing at 150 lbs. It may have astamp on the side but I cannot make it out."I know that's almost nothing to go on but I'm trying to decide whether to even pursue either one further.Thanks.

Okay - I can't seem to get the pic to load as an attachment and can't figure out how to insert it into my message

Does the anchor symbol mean anything (a certain makers logo)?

Ahhh - here's the pic of the 2nd no name/size anvil that the guy thought weighed 150#. I think it looks smaller than that but .....

Did the picture work? I can see it in my edit and preview modes here but doesn't appear when I look at the posting - just a weird dead link.

I apologize for my inept attempt(s) at posting the pic. I'll try again using the PC rather than the Mac.

Both anvils are priced pretty high - the guys asking near $500 for the unknown Swedish one w/ welding on the edges

The second one is about $750 for the anvil, vise and some other tools.

Thanks again for your patience.

post-15931-0-16575200-1292886161_thumb.j

Location makes a big difference; anvils go for about twice as much here in NM as back in OH; but those sound like almost new prices for old damaged anvils. Look at the prices for some of the good imported anvils on the blacksmithing sites. Remember being "old" doesn't mean much for an anvil until you get back to colonial times---I commonly use an anvil dated 1828 in my shop and hundred year old anvils are more the norm in smithing than a valued antique.

Don't forget to actually *HUNT* for anvils. I've toned down my anvil search a lot over the last few years as I am anviled up; but I still picked up a beautiful condition PW, 112#, for US$150 last spring here in anvil poor NM!

Finally remember that most of the world doesn't use a London Pattern anvil; don't put off starting to smith just because you don't have one---get a large hunk of steel and start hammering on it!

That is a lot of money but the one in the photo looks nice. I recently got a 70 kg (168lb) kohlswa anvil in brand new condition for $200. same guy sold a 170 lb hay budden in excellent shape to my brother for $250. If you need it now....

I know the money is high - it sure seems to be like that here in the west (at least my experience). What do you mean "if I need it now?" - then just grin and bear it? BTW - for $750 there's the anvil, leg vise and a 14" band saw.

Any guess what the weight or maker might be?

I'm on the wrong side of the pond to be of much help, but I've heard the ratio of 1 to 2 dollars per pound in weight used by a few of the American chaps before when talking about pricing up anvils. I think thats for scrap value so an anvil in good nick will likely be more.
As to weight I'd hazard a guess that the anvil in the picture is 'around' the 1 1/2cwt mark at best(128lb to 1 cwt) probably nearer 1 1/4.
At the end of the day it's worth what you're willing to pay for it, but I wouldn't rush in, buyer beware and all that eh?

Oh crap - I'm sorry,

Stupid me thinks the whole world is in N. America - my sincerest apology for that!

I'm in Idaho near the Washington border (zip = 83823) so I guess it could be both western US and western Idaho. As far as travel distance - pretty flexible. Drove to Indiana to get a stock trailer then up to Vermont to pick up some horse drawn equipment (I'd like to keep it a shorter trip than that - round trip was 6000 miles). So I guess I'd travel 1000 miles +/- depending on the direction.

As far as "hunting" goes, I've been looking for many years - that $1 to $2 per pound value was bandied about 10 or 15 years ago. Around here you're competing with some deep pockets that want to make a buck resaling these things or put them in their gardens. Same with the horse drawn equipment - I've seen people pay prices that are incredible for a plow that they can hang their mailbox from. A crappy worn out one will hold a mailbox but they end up buying some gem. Sorry to diverge.

With Craigslist, the internet, this site ..... the options have increased so I'm back inquiring.

For my purposes the total price is as important as the per pound price. Thanks monstermetal - but 400# @ $1000 is exactly what I'm talking about.

Thanks again for taking time to respond.

Well I am ln Seattle, A long day to come gather it up but not out of the question. I also have family in Idaho and make trips down from time to time but my guess is Seattle is closer to you than where my folks live (Twin Falls area)

That 400lber is a deal, I have $1000 in it and am just looking to get my dough back... I also have a 500lber for $1600, same deal just looking to get the cash back out at break even... the 500 has a narrow face and a big waist... nice looking horn too

the 400 is the bottom front guy the five is on the blue stand..

post-2750-0-60019400-1292986861_thumb.jp

post-2750-0-16150900-1292986906_thumb.jp

Well I am ln Seattle, A long day to come gather it up but not out of the question. I also have family in Idaho and make trips down from time to time but my guess is Seattle is closer to you than where my folks live (Twin Falls area)

That 400lber is a deal, I have $1000 in it and am just looking to get my dough back... I also have a 500lber for $1600, same deal just looking to get the cash back out at break even... the 500 has a narrow face and a big waist... nice looking horn too

the 400 is the bottom front guy the five is on the blue stand..

Yah,

I'm near Pullman so it's like 5-6 hrs to Seattle. Stop teasing/taunting me with your pictures of scantily -clad and well-endowed anvils! :o

• How about this 150# er? Logo mean anything? It looks really clean as far as i see - but asking too much (Like $4/#)
3n93k03m75Q15T45W2ac58a7f410af9d512b2.jp3k33pc3l35O35V55P6ac50e8a88d99abb1f73.jp3k53p13la5O55Z65P5ac58df370a1666b1d52.jp

3k03pd3la5W55U65R1ack826747520e3a1268.jp
a $450 200# hay budden?

Location makes a big difference; anvils go for about twice as much here in NM as back in OH; but those sound like almost new prices for old damaged anvils. Look at the prices for some of the good imported anvils on the blacksmithing sites. Remember being "old" doesn't mean much for an anvil until you get back to colonial times---I commonly use an anvil dated 1828 in my shop and hundred year old anvils are more the norm in smithing than a valued antique.

Don't forget to actually *HUNT* for anvils. I've toned down my anvil search a lot over the last few years as I am anviled up; but I still picked up a beautiful condition PW, 112#, for US$150 last spring here in anvil poor NM!

Finally remember that most of the world doesn't use a London Pattern anvil; don't put off starting to smith just because you don't have one---get a large hunk of steel and start hammering on it!

So who do you think makes a new "good imported anvil"?

That HB might do you well! Excellent anvils even if from Brooklyn New York! (And don't forget to factor travel costs into the "cost"; can make a close anvil look more appealing than a day there and back anvil!)

As for imports, you probably want to check the threads already around for things like euroanvils.

I'm so backwards I still tend to buy old anvils at decades old prices. I just know some folks that
have bought imported anvils from Eastern Europe and are very happy with them!

If it wasn't so long away I'd advise you to show up at Quad-State with anvil money; our local
anvil collector showed up there one year for his first time and bought 30 anvils---had to go out and buy a trailer to haul them home on!

Yah,

I'm near Pullman so it's like 5-6 hrs to Seattle. Stop teasing/taunting me with your pictures of scantily -clad and well-endowed anvils! :o

• How about this 150# er? Logo mean anything? It looks really clean as far as i see - but asking too much (Like $4/#)
3n93k03m75Q15T45W2ac58a7f410af9d512b2.jp3k33pc3l35O35V55P6ac50e8a88d99abb1f73.jp3k53p13la5O55Z65P5ac58df370a1666b1d52.jp

3k03pd3la5W55U65R1ack826747520e3a1268.jp
a $450 200# hay budden?

shoot Id buy that Hay Budden... I sold a clone to that for $700 last year ( it was quite purdy though)

You don't say if you have anything else to use as an anvil while you're searching, but you might consider alternatives to London-pattern anvils. I did a quick search on Spokane and Boise Craig's Lists, and found a few listings for scrap steel. None of it was really in the form factor you're looking for, but you should still be able to find some around if you keep looking.

I'm still putting together everything I need for a smithy, but I found the common advice to be true: as soon as I found something I could use for an anvil, I found another one near by. In my case, it was 260lb of steel blocks, followed by a Hill anvil that I got for a good price.

So that's my advice. Get something "good enough" to start with. Then you're not feeling pressured to buy at prices you feel are too high.

I have this Columian anvil I'll sell. It's in excellent condition, not exact on the weight but it's close to #150 and I'd sell it for $300. I live in Thermopolis, Wyoming where I run a smithy and knife shop. Hope these pics come through. Wes
post-2978-0-39924400-1293036679_thumb.jppost-2978-0-69122900-1293036745_thumb.jp

This is that same anvil sitting next to a recently aquired Peter Wright that weighs exactly #187pds.
post-2978-0-20030400-1293038157_thumb.jp