I Forge Iron

Help buying an anvil for my shop

Seeing the different responses to this (and to other threads), I think the choices come down to what camp you fall into. If you're a hobbyist (like me), $700 is a lot of money to spend starting up a recreational activity. If you're a professional, making your money with the tool (like Larry and Stewart), $700 is a pretty reasonable investment, and you'll get a return on that investment by using it for work.

So if you're a hobbyist, find an alternative, and keep looking for a smokin' deal. If you're a professional, suck it up, pay the money, and start earning a return. And keep looking for a smokin' deal.

Thanks to all of you for both your input and offers! Nice community you've got here at IFI.

I do have a pretty good chunk of RR track that I "bang on" but sure would like something more substantial. FYI on that Hay Budden - here's some info from the seller; he's very, very far from my house but dang it sure looks nice.

THe face dimensions are 4-3/4 by 17-1/2. According to my friend's copy of Anvils in America, that makes it 200# (I can pick it up and load it, but I'd hate to carry it around.- I have a smaller anvil that I decided to use...its 120# and is MUCH easier to move). In addition, the serial number on the foot is 182803, which makes it a 1911.

Might have to continue to look - Hmmmm Thermopolis WY?

That HB might do you well! Excellent anvils even if from Brooklyn New York! (And don't forget to factor travel costs into the "cost"; can make a close anvil look more appealing than a day there and back anvil!)

As for imports, you probably want to check the threads already around for things like euroanvils.

I'm so backwards I still tend to buy old anvils at decades old prices. I just know some folks that
have bought imported anvils from Eastern Europe and are very happy with them!

If it wasn't so long away I'd advise you to show up at Quad-State with anvil money; our local
anvil collector showed up there one year for his first time and bought 30 anvils---had to go out and buy a trailer to haul them home on!

OK I am going to put it on line here. H-B? I have 2 and axces to 2 more. Have NEVER seen a H-B with marke likes like these. Have seen both H-Bs and trenton,s with hour glass bottoms. OHya trentons have a caplet bottom. NOT. Sorry we have too many experts stating things with out checking historys. I think, I heard was told don't count. Come on guys
we can do better. If ya can't back it up. Dont post it.
ken.

OK I am going to put it on line here. H-B? I have 2 and axces to 2 more. Have NEVER seen a H-B with marke likes like these. Have seen both H-Bs and trenton,s with hour glass bottoms. OHya trentons have a caplet bottom. NOT. Sorry we have too many experts stating things with out checking historys. I think, I heard was told don't count. Come on guys
we can do better. If ya can't back it up. Dont post it.
ken.

Which one are your referring to Ken? There are 3 pictures of the Columbian and 1 picture of an anvil that might be an HB (painted red). The pics of the red anvil are not large enough or have a high enough resolution to say for sure that it is an HB, but it sure has the lines of an HB.

Thanks to all of you for both your input and offers! Nice community you've got here at IFI.

I do have a pretty good chunk of RR track that I "bang on" but sure would like something more substantial. FYI on that Hay Budden - here's some info from the seller; he's very, very far from my house but dang it sure looks nice.

THe face dimensions are 4-3/4 by 17-1/2. According to my friend's copy of Anvils in America, that makes it 200# (I can pick it up and load it, but I'd hate to carry it around.- I have a smaller anvil that I decided to use...its 120# and is MUCH easier to move). In addition, the serial number on the foot is 182803, which makes it a 1911.

Might have to continue to look - Hmmmm Thermopolis WY?

Ive got a friend in Thermopolis who drives to Washington once in a while... maybe he would deliver it on the way though?

I've been smithing for 30 years come this spring. I own Fisher, Trenton, Peter Wrights, Hay Budden, Arm and Hammer, Vulcan, Powell, William Foster, ILI&B bridge, and Steve Parker Anvils. I have AinA and have spoken with Mr Postman quite a bit over the years when I had questions on oddities I had picked up---(this last Q-S he told me the anvil *base* I had found---nothing above the waist! was most likely from a PW.

I was not shooting my mouth off.

Merry Christmas and an Anvilly New Year to ALL