I Forge Iron

Mucked up vice screw

robodog

OK, so I've read that the proper thing to do with a new (old) leg vice is to clean and lube the screw mechanism.

I'm setting up my new shop with my newly inherited tools and decided that I should treat my vice to a lube-job. I had a hard time getting it apart and then after cleaning all the old grease off the screw and out of the screw box, I can see that the threads inside the screw box are badly misshapen.

I lubed it anyway and tried to put it back together but it requires so much force that I decided it's better not to force it and to try to solve the problem.

What does one do in this situation? Are there parts available? Being a brand-spanky-new newbie, there's no way I could make something like that. The screw is 9 3/4" long and 1 3/8" diameter. Suggestions?

Also - I'm wondering about the significance of that brass plate. Take a look at these two pics.

Thanks a mill. Roger

post-15641-0-66633000-1290803663_thumb.j

post-15641-0-24255300-1290803673_thumb.j

If you got it apart then it should go back together. I'd use it until it fails and look for a new one in the meantime. If you must repair it, you'll probably want to get a screw and nut from someone like ENCO. Still takes some creativity to make it all look decent.

The screw part looks ok. I'd check to make sure that you're not cross-threading in your reassembly attempts. Also there maybe a single chunk at the front of the box that got tweaked when it came apart, it may only require a little tweak to make things work again.

The male end looks fine I have seen much worse, the problem must be inside the box as others have said already, if it is just one little chunk I would just get it out of there using a chisel or whatever it takes, then see how it works before attempting to replace it, one little piece missing will likely not affect the performance of the screw

That looks like a peter wright vice. On the part of the screw box behind the stationary jaw it should say something like wrights patent solid box. These are vert small letters maybe 1/8" or smaller usually on the top of the part where they are easily damaged. If it is one of these then the thread not brazed in.
Rob

That looks like a peter wright vice. On the part of the screw box behind the stationary jaw it should say something like wrights patent solid box. These are vert small letters maybe 1/8" or smaller usually on the top of the part where they are easily damaged. If it is one of these then the thread not brazed in.
Rob

I can't find that wording anywhere. The only identifying thing on the vise is the brass plaque. I did take some pics of the inside of the screw box. It's kind of hard to tell because of the focus and the perspective, but you can see what I mean about the mucked up threads.

I haven't tried any surgery yet. I'm guessing it would involve some sort of pick to pry the damaged threads out and then break them off and then coax the remainder back into place. Any suggestions on that process? Or is this salvageable? I hope so, 'cuz otherwise it's a beautiful heavy vise.

post-15641-0-43273100-1290887419_thumb.j

post-15641-0-72786500-1290887427_thumb.j

post-15641-0-77247300-1290887436_thumb.j

post-15641-0-56449400-1290887445_thumb.j

post-15641-0-19529100-1290887456_thumb.j

Those are nice photos that show brazed threads as said above. Just take it slow and it should not be too hard to repair.
If that is a peter wright vice it is before they made them solid box and I am not sure of the writing on it. Does anyone know when the solid box screws were first made?
Rob

Those are nice photos that show brazed threads as said above. Just take it slow and it should not be too hard to repair.
If that is a peter wright vice it is before they made them solid box and I am not sure of the writing on it. Does anyone know when the solid box screws were first made?
Rob

Rob, Sorry but - newbie here - what do you mean by "solid box"? Is that a non-forged box? or a cast box?

Thx, Roger

Sorry, That is what peter wright called their screwboxes when they developed a way to make them without brazing the thread on the inside. They had "wrights patent solid box" stamped into the top of it so people would know it was not brazed. I am not sure exactly how they were made but later screwboxes from some makers were cast iron.
Rob

• 5 months later...