I Forge Iron

my coal has left

pip

hi guys the people who i bought my coal from went bankrupt i guess i was on of their few costumiers. i herd that you can burn corn for black smithing. i have never tried it. i live in a small Mississippi corn i have a lot of and i can get it cheap. now how hot does it get, how long does it last compared to anthracite coal,and how bad s the smoke? I have tried charcoal but that goes to fast, forge welds do not work as well, there are to many flames, and sparks for my liking. i can get cracked corn that the farmers can not sell by the ton for free.

• 2 weeks later...

I know its alittle off the topic, but I have used "cull / reject" wood toilet seats to make a knife or two. I get the seats from my job, they are the rejected parts. Very hot fire since they are made of compressed wood flour (powdered wood and a binder) pressed at high pressure in heated molds. Only down side is they contain phenolic resin which is hard on the lungs if you get down wind of it, but most smoke is. But a few of these will turn a wood stove cherry red. And once they are down to the coals they are pretty much smoke free and last a while and produce mostly fine ash for waste.
I live in rural Alabama (really rural) and I have problems finding a good source for anything I really need. Sometimes the free things work just as good.

post-15800-0-28751700-1291664970_thumb.j

I ran a lot of particle board through the woodstove back home. The insides, and the chimney were never cleaner. No carbon whatsoever. We would get a good hot fire going, then toss in some stripped up pieces. If they went in too soon all they did was produce nasty smoke.

Masonoite burns really hot too, so be careful tossing any of that in. Real easy to get that old Timberline red hot around the flue, if too much was tossed in at once.