I Forge Iron

What is your favorite Hop John recipe?

BIGGUNDOCTOR

My Dad used to make his version of Hop John for New Years Eve every year. I don't have his recipe, and he passed in 2000. He tried a few different versions over the years,and I remember some that used the small Santa Maria red beans instead of the black eye peas.

Anyway, I always looked forward to munching on Hop John to start the year off, and would like to make some this year to share with friends. So what version do you like?

Thanks

I'm afraid I grew up on chili (no beans) for new years. I'm from Arizona originally. Now as to hop'n john, my okie relitives cook the pore black eyed peas till their a gray mush (of corse they cook most vegetables that way, those they don't bread and fry). Now as to chili I have seen blasphemy their too.

As I heard it the black eyed peas represent coins, and the greens represented folding money. By eating it on New Years it was promoting wealth/good times in the coming year.

I remember Dad's using smoked ham hocks, tiny red beans, rice, onion, and some seasonings. Looking on some of the cooking forums there are some variations on this.