I Forge Iron

Clay Spencer's email address?

Good morning all

Yes, Johan that is the correct E-mail address. -grant

From Forge Facts - RMS newsletter
Tire Hammer plans, $30 postpaid to US and Canadian addressed
Send to Clay Spencer, 73 Penniston Pvt. Drive, Somerville. AL 35670
For more info call 256-558-3658 or email: Clay@tirehammer.com

I just completed a tire hammer build a few months ago utilizing Clays plans and was pleased with the outcome. A couple of revisions I incorporated was an adjustable treadle spring mount and a removal treadle. Not sure if you have a motor yet but I purchased a chinese 1 HP motor from a supplier in Cumming GA at a very attractive price. It seemed to get hotter than it should connected up to 120 VAC but does fine at 220 VAC. Give me a shout if I can lend assistance in some way.

an adjustable treadle spring... that's the spring that makes the treadle come back up? Why would you ajust that? So you can adjust how much pressure you should give with your foot? And why did you make it removable?
Maybe you could post some pics? :-)

Thanks for your help!

I made the treadle spring adjustable and the treadle removable because I prefer component parts of most any fabrication I perform removable in case they need to be altered, adjusted, or replaced.
I added the wood base because the solid round I located for an anvil ( for free ) wasn't quite high enough to provide a comfortable working height.
I also had to have a way to manueuver the machine around my shop during fabrication and also for final placement so I added the tilt back wheels that you see. I fabricated a bracket that bolts temporarily to the front of the base. My floor jack goes under the bracket and the unit will tilt back on to the rear wheels which are normally an 1/8 inch or so off the ground at rest.

I didn't keep strict tabs but I estimate between 750.00 and 800.00 I purchased some of the steel, the hub and spindle, the motor, the tire and wheel, the upper arm spring, 4140 for two sets of dies, the electrical switch and wiring, and quite a few bolts for assembly. I also paid John Wayne Taylor ( a close associate of Clay Spencer ) to fabricate the upper arms, the aluminum drive wheel, and pour the lead for both the ram and the counterweight. He has a jig for the arms and I quite frankly didn't want to mess around with pouring lead in my garage at home. I was able to obtain a base plate and anvil for zero cost.

Total fabricate took approximately 9 weeks of my spare time.
I am certain it could be accomplished for less with more time invested on scrounging parts.

.... too late..

i've got some conversion questions, i'm in europe so i need to convert the plans to the metric system.

1. I think, black pipe 1" schedule 80, means a wall thickness of 4,5mm? And for 1" sch 40, 3,4mm? ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schedule_40 )
2. Round HR/CR, what does that mean? Hot rolled / ...? Is this simple round stock, or is it precision axle?
3. What means gage? Subject is sheet metal.