I Forge Iron

Looking to purchase leg post vise

gonefishin

I'm just now getting into Blacksmithing and am trying to find a leg vise that will get the job done, I don't have $100.00 to spend at the moment but once I learn I'm sure I'll be spending a couple hundred on different vises that come up every now and then...but right now I don't have much to spend.

I searched ebay and craigslist and I can't find any under $60.00, someone told me to keep looking and that you can find good ones for sale around $12.00+ - Not sure if this is true or not.

If anyone has any for sale that would work and is just collecting dust, please let me know in a PM.

$60 isn't terrible, I got mine on ebay for $10, plus $40 shipping so let's call it $50. For that price you should expect a vise in good condition and have a chance to see its action and make sure the screw and screw box are in good shape.

If you network and ask everybody about what you want then you have higher chances of a deal. Everyone includes just that, EVERYONE.

Phil

"new" price is very different from used price when there is a large number of old ones out and about. Look at new car prices; now look at buying an older car!

Asking on a blacksmith's site is one of the more expensive ways to go about it; can you post a postcard saying "wanted Blacksmith's Post Vise" at a local feed store?

You want to buy it from someone who doesn't need it or want it and so will sell at a reasonable price. However a good blacksmith's conference will usually give you your choice at a "reasonable" price---I bought two at Quad-State the end of September; $50 for a 6" vise and $20 for 3" vise.

Of course they both were missing the mounting bracket and spring---but that's a good starting project at the forge; or using an U bolt and angle iron you can make a bracket with no forging!

I've had luck at fleamarkets in OH having bought a dozen of so vises for $20 to $25 (and complete if they were 4# vises). One trick is when you see "old barn junk" to ask the seller if they have any heavy smithing stuff they didn't bother to load on spec. Another is to remember that even in towns smithies abounded. I bought my first 6" postvise from a car repair place that had been in the same building since 1919 (and still had the forge buried under modern junk!)

I've been looking around everywhere around where I live, asking around and looking around. Been to 4 flea markets, plenty and plenty of yard sales, went to a farm sale, auctions - haven't had any luck yet. Hopefully something will flow right along to me.

Think my best bet is to take a chance at one on ebay (I hate ebay!).

Think my best bet is to take a chance at one on ebay (I hate ebay!).

Look for a low priced auction that lists "pickup only" in the header, and the description says something like email for shipping. Those will typically only get 1 bid from someone who emailed for shipping or lives right there.

Phil

try to go to local antique stores, ebay, craigslist and of course flea markiets, I found my for $120at an antique store and other than the very minor surface rust and grease it seems to be in like new condition. I know you said you don't have $100 to spend, but keep looking you will find one eventually. from what I've seen between $40-125 is the going rate for them depending on hwo is selling it the size the condition and of course does the seller know what it is they are selling.