I Forge Iron

Harbor Freight belt grinder

Ross_FL

Especially in this case you get what you pay for.The fitting that allows the belt to be swiveled on these is made of low grade cast iron and breaks easily.I have been asked to repair 3 of them and told the people who brought them in it was a waste of time as the rest of the machine was of equally low quality.

My suggestion would be to look on Craig`s list for an older,better made machine.One that is built to stand up to metalwork rather than a woodworking machine.They can be bought relatively cheaply nowadays.

I bought this http://www.kalamazooind.com/products/belt-sanders/s4s-belt-sander/
used for $100 off craigslist. I had to drive over an hour to get it, but I will always have this tool.

I also bought this http://www.kalamazooind.com/products/belt-sanders/s6ms-6%E2%80%B3-belt-sander/
used off craigslist for $100. It was a couple towns over and cost four times as much as the smaller one new. They are both great sanders and were both great deals.

Especially in this case you get what you pay for.The fitting that allows the belt to be swiveled on these is made of low grade cast iron and breaks easily.I have been asked to repair 3 of them and told the people who brought them in it was a waste of time as the rest of the machine was of equally low quality.

My suggestion would be to look on Craig`s list for an older,better made machine.One that is built to stand up to metalwork rather than a woodworking machine.They can be bought relatively cheaply nowadays.

Thanks Bob, HF scratched off the list.

I bought a heat gun there that worked for 15 minutes and its that same orange color as the grinder so I was wondering if it was the same cheap crap.

Then again, the heat gun was $3, so that's about one use worth!!

Hey I bought a 1" x 30" belt sander from HF and it gets the job done for light sanding. I bought some leather belts and do some sharpening on it too. Here is a picture of the sander on the site. My link
It was only about $40.00 from my local HF bought as the other said you get what you pay for.
I would love to build that "no weld" belt grinder that they sell plans for.

Hey I bought a 1" x 30" belt sander from HF and it gets the job done for light sanding. I bought some leather belts and do some sharpening on it too. Here is a picture of the sander on the site. My link
It was only about $40.00 from my local HF bought as the other said you get what you pay for.
I would love to build that "no weld" belt grinder that they sell plans for.

R.Harrell: I have one of those HF 1"x30" belt sanders also. One of my other hobbies is building and flying remote-controlled airplanes and helicopters. That little sander is great for small work. I burned up my first one after a couple years and my second one is starting to go . . . I would like to find a similar unit - but made a little better

Jeff

One thing I do not see covered in this thread is simply wot is the belt grinder going to be expected to do? The Hf grinder can do a few things that are not above its capabilities. Other grinders will do those and a long list of other things a lot better. One grinder I keep in the knife shop is a grizzly 2"x72" I do lots of work on it and have for a lot of years. Kind of a general purpose utility grinder. I use a Hard Core grinder for knife work and almost everyone of them is hollow ground and full tang knives have tapered tangs. That size belt is availeable in a long list of different grits and qualities to do anything I want to do on my knives.
A few things I would not be without for knife work is a flat platen, a rubber covered contact wheel,,(I prefer an 8") And a small wheel attachemant. I have 1/2", 5/8". 3/4",1" and 1 1/2" wheels for that. A huge must have item is a way of controlling the speed. I like the variable speed motors. But if I had to I would be fine with a system of pulleys that I could move belt for different speeds.

$800 and I gotta build I myself??

Uhhh, thanks, I guess.

That polar bear kit can be compared to some commercial units, so it is a little easier to swallow...I still can't.

I have an old Mead Bandsander (they show up on Ebay too, go cheap sometimes) and I am happy with it. It is a 1x42, I have a 1/6 hp motor on it, and it is nice but underpowered. It calls for 1/3 to 1/2 horse. The motor is separate, but I see no need to upgrade the motor at this time, it works great!

Phil

At a glance, that looks like a nice grinder kit. And for the work he puts into it, the price is cheap. I assume the motor is not included. But it seems over engineered. Is 1/2" plate really necessary? And is it worth the extra effort to be able to change belt sizes? Also a welded fabricated construction would be both stronger and a lot cheaper.

• 6 months later...

All Hands:

I need a bit of advice. I'm new to knife makin. My question, what is an efficient knife grinder? I know I'll have to pay. I like some advise as to which one would be a dependable buy?

Semper Fi,

Ernst Becker

Oorah Ernst. KMG seems to the the top of the wish list of grinders but there are clones out there. Bader is another fine tool. Either will run a grand or so for a new one....

Let's get real here guys! on one hand you are talking $40.00 sander and on the other (the polar bear job) something your grandchildren will still use!(though I balk at the price).
It's like compairing house brand grapejuice to Chateau d'Yquem 1980.
The H/F job( $40) looks to be what it is a small cheap and cheerfull(maybe more cheap than cheerfull)probably ideal for regular re-sharpening.
But I must agree with the sugestions on buying a older second(or 3rd/4th)hand industrial use tool.

Ian

The thing I learned about belt grinders is that I use them alot. More than I like to admit given my aversion to grinding. I don't make knives and I sprung for a KMG and don't regret it at all. The unit is HEAVY which is real nice in a grinder but I sure don't like moving the machine. If you have more time than $ the Beaumont Metalworks website is set up so you can buy the necessary bits and build the machine yourself, plans are around. And they answer the phone.

The HF unit looks good for sharpening but you probably wont be removing much material.