I Forge Iron

Advise On Protecting Anvil

I know this has probably been recycled many times on this forum but I found little information here and on the net. Either I was searching using the wrong words or not.

I have my new Hay Budden 269 Pounds out side in a shed with no doors any advise to protecting it through winter and in general wrapping it coating it with something nothing that will remove the coating of rust that is on it as it helps protect it to a certain extent.

If I have to witch I don't want to is to put it inside witch would be taking it down stairs I really don't want to do this one even if someone helps me.

I know this has probably been recycled many times on this forum but I found little information here and on the net. Either I was searching using the wrong words or not.

I have my new Hay Budden 269 Pounds out side in a shed with no doors any advise to protecting it through winter and in general wrapping it coating it with something nothing that will remove the coating of rust that is on it as it helps protect it to a certain extent.

If I have to witch I don't want to is to put it inside witch would be taking it down stairs I really don't want to do this one even if someone helps me.

Best thing you can do is stand in front of it for about 8 hours a day and use it.... Then you wont have to worry about any rust build up or issues :P

I am well aware of that but as of now that is impossible.
I read that somewhere here on the forums but 8 hours would be more like a job than a hobby.

Yeah your right... that was not very helpful on my part..

What I found works well is a coating of spray silicone.... it comes in an spray can and leaves kind of a waxy film.... that will work well on everything but the face.... the tool steel plate and bick...if you just wipe it down with a oily rag after every use and then just let the rag lay over it that does a very nice job.... if its going to sit for a long long time without use... then spray grease is probably the way to go

I have never used this on an anvil, But I do use it on my horse drawn plows and they must have a mirror finish on the mold board. Once you get it the best way I have found is to grease it then cover the grease with brown (kraft) paper. Work the paper down so the grease soaks thru the paper. This will protect the mirror finish even if it sets out side. Grease can be licked and rubbed off by animals the paper seems to stop this. NEVER fails for me.

Very humid here and everything either rusts or rots. So I paint the sides of my anvils and then grease the top.

BTW for "protection" against other forms of attack- mainly people who don't know what they are doing bouncing hammers oss my anvil- I have rigged up a cover for mine. It also incorporates a shear. I suppose I need to start another thread for that and try to post a photo or two.

Very humid here and everything either rusts or rots. So I paint the sides of my anvils and then grease the top.

BTW for "protection" against other forms of attack- mainly people who don't know what they are doing bouncing hammers oss my anvil- I have rigged up a cover for mine. It also incorporates a shear. I suppose I need to start another thread for that and try to post a photo or two.

Looking forward to seeing that Philip.

Phil

I read someone say to get a cloth or burlap bag and get it oiled down real good and cover the anvil with that. Should keep the moisture out and all you have to do is pull it off and goto work. I am sure if I greased mine down I'd soon be greased down too :D

• 3 weeks later...