I Forge Iron

Cold Weather work.......

Speaking of cold, every time I start work in the morning in the dead of winter in my shop, I have fear that when I start in the morning, because it is so cold, my trip hammer dies would be brittle. Before doing anything, I heat up a block of steel in my forge, and warm up my dies before I use them to start pounding. Otherwise, many hours of work on a milling machine making these dies which swage particular shapes could be ruined. An ounce of prevention...............can save many headaches.

Is that rust pitting on those dies or something else going on? I see they have been used hard for a long time too.

Phil

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that rust pitting on those dies or something else going on? I see they have been used hard for a long time too.

Phil

As an old boat builder I cringe every time I see a pic of your gear there Stewart.I live right on a salt water cove and my gear doesn`t look that bad.Not even the stuff I leave out during the Maine winters is that rusty. :o
You have my deep respect for having the ability to keep it all running and making product every day.

Stewart,where do you sell your caulking irons from?
If you let me know I will start sending some of the wooden boat builders up here your way or at least to the person you distribute them thru.
I make some by hand for friends but I`m betting since you turn them out in quantity yours will be far cheaper for the general public to buy.Excellent fit and finish too.
I have some old prints of both caulking and reefing irons somewhere.If I can find them would you be interested in a scan?

• 1 month later...

My forge set up right now is in an enclosed, but unheated and uninsulated breeze way. I was thinking about the best way to preheat the anvil as well. I just got rid of a magnetic oil pan heater this year. :angry:

I might go to the thrift store and see if I can find an old iron to use. Put it on cotton setting and let it heat her up.

My only though about heating the anvil up is if you could hurt the heat treatment of the face.

Greebe

Wouldn't worry about a mag heater or an iron hurting the hean treat. After all if your putting Red to white hot metal
on it thats a lot hotter than either of those. I cheat. I either set the thermostat and timer on the kero heater
Or fire up the gasser and go sit in the heated office and finish my coffee. After 65 I don't deal with working cold
anymore.
Ken.