I Forge Iron

new coal forge

FieryFurnace

It all looks great. Nice neat setup. You should be really pleased with the work you have done. I do want you to be VERY careful about the bales of hay they are WAY to close to the fire just one rock in your coal that pops and blows out and you could lose it all. Please take some measures to prevent a fire.

Will do! It worries me as well when I'm throwing sparks out to yin-yang! We are going to be sorting and moving that hay soon and building a wall along that 2x6 that runs across it.
So it will be farther away!

I'll experiment with opening reduction!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You all will be greatly relieved to hear that the hay has been moved. It's not out of the barn yet, but I moved it about 10 feet farther away. That is as far as I could shift it. So the danger is not eliminated but is greatly lessened!

Fired the forge back up this evening and made a handle for my twisting wrench. I also started on a scroll jig for a job I have to do! I'm very pleased with the way the forge heats so far. It heats a very large section of metal which is nice.....made things on the jig go much faster.

I had trouble with the draught due to the door opening and gusty winds. When the wind left me alone, there was no smoke, but if the wind curled around inside the barn, it ruined the draught. I'm just going to have to put up with that until I get the door put in.....which will be a while! I've got a lot of construction, masonry, electrical, and digging to do before I can put a door up!
However, I've no reason at all to complain......I got to forge while it was pouring rain outside......and I didn't even get wet! HAH! First time in 5 years!

Great looking setup. I am really glad you posted this! I have been thinking about how I was going to build my side draft hood. Your setup is exactly what I was thinking of doing but was worried about the horizontal distance I would have to travel, but after seeing how yours draws I can now move ahead.

Thank you for posting,

Steven