I Forge Iron

Auto tires over 6 years old should NOT be put in service

Glenn

ABC Report click here
30 seconds of commercial before the report starts

Article click here
In a statement from the British Rubber Manufacturers Association (BRMA) issued on June 5, 2001 regarding the age of tires they state, "BRMA members strongly recommend that unused tires should not be put into service if they are over 6 years old and that all tires should be replaced 10 years from the date of their manufacture." Tire age can be accelerated by a variety of environmental factors, such as sunlight exposure and coastal climates. Poor storage and infrequent use of your vehicle are other things that can accelerate tire age.

Tires Manufactured Since 2000
Since 2000, the week and year the tire was produced has been provided by the last four digits of the Tire Identification Number with the 2 digits being used to identify the week immediately preceding the 2 digits used to identify the year. Example of a tire manufactured since 2000 with the current Tire Identification Number format:

Tires Manufactured Before 2000
The Tire Identification Number for tires produced prior to 2000 was based on the assumption that tires would not be in service for ten years. While they were required to provided the same information as today’s tires, the week and year the tire was produced was contained in the last three digits. The 2 digits used to identify the week a tire was manufactured immediately preceded a single digit used to identify the year. Rxample of a tire manufactured before 2000 with the earlier Tire Identification Number format:

How old are the "new" tires on YOUR vehicle?

As a former tire store manager, our most common issue with 'aged' tires was on boat trailers, utility trailers, campers - full sized and popup, RV's and 'granny' cars, i.e., low mileage useage wherein the tread appeared good to almost new while the tires had dry rotted due to the evaporation of the volatiles out of the tire. Examine the tire, look for 'cracking' or 'checking', especially where the tire sidewall is flexed. We didn't have a problem with tires sitting inventory till they aged out.. we sold about 800 tires a week and kept about 3,500 tires in our store inventory. Our tire salesmen and tire techs were required to check the dates prior to tire service. All it takes is one tire blowing up on the stand to make a believer out of you.

How many RV's/boat trailers/campers have you seen sitting on the side of the road with a flat or blown out tire in the spring when folks head for the lake?

Don't forget, the tire ages while it sits there whether it is driven upon or not. If it sets out in the sunlight, it will degrade a little faster.

Just my $0.02.

That shoots the whole retread industry in the foot you know.
Phil

Are they wearing jaraches?

On the serious side, I hadn't heard this but I probably wasn't watching, it's been a few decades since I sold tires. On the other hand I do use the things so. . .

Frosty the Lucky.

I had not thought about the tire hammers but it would make sense to check and keep a close eye on the tires.
The donuts that they put out for spare tires have been stored in the trunk of a car for how long? Some have never touched the ground and still have the whiskers attached.