I Forge Iron

Frederick's Cross

I have a friend who wants to make kind of a large Frederick's Cross for his daughter. I've done a search and I can't find them here. I was sure (thought I was) that I had seen them talked about here. He has dimensions for smaller ones but when he tries to go bigger he says the proportions aren't right. Can anyone tell me where I can find out about the crosses.
Thanks
Billy

I am sure that you will find tons of info if you google. As far as proportions though, I have seen tables but they never seemed right to me... use your eyes! There are no RULES and everyone will judge a bit differently. If the proportions seem wrong to him change them until they seem right. Basically, more overlap in the cuts gives a larger space in the center, legs should look right to you (but this can vary a lot). I sometimes leave a bit extra on the top vertical leg for forging into an eye so that the cross can be a pendant. Some guys drill or punch instead. Here is one thread from here that might help:

Crosses and more crosses

• 2 weeks later...

Since I am a bit of a scrounger, I used RR spikes. They are a little thicher square but they turned out nice.
This weekend was the first time that I attempted to make any and I am hooked. They are so simple to make. The wife loves them.
Thanks for posting the plans John.

Mark<><

• 1 month later...