I Forge Iron

restoring and airloom

ilarcher

This was a clever I got out of my grandparents house. I remember my grandfather using it to clean the huge catfish he would big home from his trot lines. It has been hanging on the wall since 1984. It was in rough shape and the handle was falling apart. It is the biggest clever I have ever put my hands on.

I have been watching this forum for some time now, so I thought I would restore it for my many years of use. Picture was takin one night when I was working on it with my blackberry so the quality is not the best.

The saw its sitting on is a 10" miter saw and the ruler is 12" long.

The handle is hard maple and brizilian cherry. I still have a long way to go but I am going to keep the blade in a rough look for my grandfather.

This was a clever I got out of my grandparents house. I remember my grandfather using it to clean the huge catfish he would big home from his trot lines. It has been hanging on the wall since 1984. It was in rough shape and the handle was falling apart. It is the biggest clever I have ever put my hands on.

I have been watching this forum for some time now, so I thought I would restore it for my many years of use. Picture was takin one night when I was working on it with my blackberry so the quality is not the best.

The saw its sitting on is a 10" miter saw and the ruler is 12" long.

The handle is hard maple and brizilian cherry. I still have a long way to go but I am going to keep the blade in a rough look for my grandfather.

sorry for the image being so big

post-7824-007411900 1285730173_thumb.jpg

that cleaver is very nice. are there any makers marks on it? and it is pretty big, but it is tiny compared to one my father has from an old slaughter house. before bandsaws they split the carcass by driving a massive cleaver through it with a sledgehammer! you can tell if you ever find one because not only is ie over 2 feet from end to end, but they are soo swaybacked from sledging that they are U shaped!
hope it finishes nice for you

Ed Steinkirchner

where did the picture go. it was on here a few hours ago.

IT didn't do any where, the poster made 2 posts and the photo is in the other one, oh well, I will make it easy and merge them....