I Forge Iron

Hollow anvil

While looking through a flea market earlier today I seen what looked like a nice 80ish pound anvil for 40 bucks. Ran over to grab it up and got surprised by how light it was. I flipped it over to see a large void. It couldn't have weighed more than 25-30 pounds. Needles to say I was disappointed even when they offered to knock off 5 dollars. Is hollow anvils a common thing? Should have I bought it anyway? All I have now is a bit of railroad track.

I'm not an anvil expert but MFC makes hollow anvils for the horseshoeing trade. Another out fit makes a half steal and half aluminum. I shoe and I don't recomend them. I know it's Ben said before but anvilfire.com has some exilent articles on how to make a serviceable anvil out of your piese of track.

If it is hollow and has a hole running thru it parallel to the face then it was originally part of an anvil/vise combination tool.
I have one that was given to me and is about the size of a 70#.It`s made of ductile iron(says so on the casting).I use it for light work,mostly sheet metal and odd out of shop jobs.
Once you get a real anvil It won`t see much use.

I keep mine around for the grandkids,they really like that they have their own anvil set up on their own little stump just like Grampy.They are a little distracting though as they try to ape my movements and timing.The wife usually runs to get the camera and then things go down hill from there. I usually just shut things down and end up chasing them around the yard making fun of the way they run to get back at them. :P

Gotta get `em in the forge while they`re young.
How come nobody makes kid size safety glasses?

Stephen Feinstein just posted photos of he and his wife with an anvil that does look hollow. If it were not Stephen would be flat as a road kill coyote.

I tried to find those pics. Did a search in the members section for "Stephen Feinstein" and got "No results".....:( Got a link? Thanks :)

Wow, I had the same experience this weekend. I snapped a couple photos with my cell phone. Is this similar to the one you found? It was priced $35.

Yes, it looks identical. Well I don't remember the hole in the back, but that doesn't mean it wasn't there. When I found it was hollow my interest dropped and I quit inspecting it at that point.

Mainely,Bob, when my son wants to watch I make him put on some swimming goggles. I know there not safety rated, but I make him stay at an safe distance and the goggles are just a precautionary measure. My son is 3 1/2 and doesn't need up close yet.