I Forge Iron

PSA disc Pedestal Grinder Epiphany

mike-hr

I have an industrial duty pedastal grinder that uses 12 inch pressure sensitive adhesive (PSA) discs. Historically, it's a real task unpeeling the used disc to apply a new one. I got mad this morning and took the oxy/fuel rosebud to the surface, for just 5 seconds, whilst the machine was spinning, but turned off. The disc popped off in one piece, something that's never happened before. To remove the old rubbery glue, I turn the machine on for a second, then cut the power and use the backside of a sharp wood chisel and spin the glue off toward the center. To seat the new disc on tight, I bought a wooden wallpaper seam roller and apply pressure while it's spinning. This probably sounds silly, but I've spent 20 minutes each dozens of times fighting the used disc off when it's cold.

Maybe it has to do with the quality of the disc itself. At Jelly Belly we had a 16", or 20" disc sander. We ended up using the 3M Blue Grit discs. Yes they were expensive, but they really lasted, and peeled off OK. Only had to clean the disc after several changes had been done. You could usually just start on one edge, and start pulling right back on itself. I was taking the center 10" and cutting them out for a friend who had a 10" sander. The guys in the shop rarely used the centers up before pulling the disc.