I Forge Iron

Anvils to consider

Jacob, you already know my opinion! B) I agree with Tim, and after a closer look, the hornless anvil's edges don't look real great. You don't want razor sharp edges but the Russian has clean edges that you could radius to your liking. Besides, IIRC, it's made of a fairly high carbon steel. Certainly higher than my CNC cut anvil. You could harden it with the right resources. Otherwise, use as is. If you only hit hot steel, it really won't matter. Besides, un-hardened, a ding here and there would be an easy repair. My bill for 2 cents is in the mail :P

you should buy the hornless one, and let me comeby and get the russian one. lol. actually looks like both are a good price. get em both. and if you find you only need one of them, give me a shout ill be there soon to discuss removal of the other one.

I'm going to offer $200 for both of them and see if he wants to haggle.
(He said he'll take $125 for either)

So far Postman has run across about 250 companies in England that made anvils sometime back in the day. The broke horn one looks like it was made by one of them. (A bit hard to narrow it down save that some brands show up in America more often than others)

The broke horn would be a good beginner's anvil and a hardy hole tool to replace the horn would not be that hard to make.

If yall like those Russian anvils a lot, I maybe be able to sell off a hand full that are at the school I attend, they just sit around and collect dust, and occasionally we use then to upset things. I'm in Charleston NC. let my know if yall are interested and ill see if they can be sold!

I had to change my mind. Girlfriend got wind of it, "You don't need TWO anvils." So I'm just going to buy the Russian. :) I'll give you his contact info if you want to check on the brokenhorn.

Did ya try telling her ya got 2 arms? Hope this dosen't mean your going to stay home Sat. Having a bladesmith demo and a scout group.
Ken.

I took care to marry a lady that had her own *non-intersecting*, (so (no tool contention!), hobby.

She can appreciate that I might need another anvil just like I can understand why she needs another spinning wheel. None of her "junk" sits in my shop and none of mine sits in her's.

Shoot last anvil I bought off of CL, she had to pick it up by herself when she was in the city! (and it was delivered by the wife of the fellow who sold it---I think they roped a passing college student in to move if from car to car...)

Did ya try telling her ya got 2 arms? Hope this dosen't mean your going to stay home Sat. Having a bladesmith demo and a scout group.
Ken.

Hah! I was actually going to get both so she could work with me (she's going to start as well, but she can't come Saturday because her dad is leaving on a 2 week trip and she wants to spend time with him) BUT I will be there. :)